Chapter 21: Touch

Percy POV

Annabeth's hand was in mine. Her touch was shooting warmth, comfort, and ecstasy into my own body. 

She took my walking stick and set it at our table. 

I felt bare without my walking stick while in public. Regardless, I didn't need it for dancing, so I left it behind. 

Annabeth carefully guided me towards the dance floor, which was packed with students. Everyone was hype at these school dances. The DJ was only playing slow songs right now. 

"Wise Girl, I don't know how to dance. Besides, I'm blind so it's probably worse now," I said hesitantly. 

Annabeth chuckled. "Just move to the music, Seaweed Brain. Blindness has nothing to do with it. Just follow me," she said. 

"I can't see you in order to follow you," I said softly. 

I could feel everyone moving around me. Masses of students surrounded me as they all danced. I felt weird being here and not being able to see anyone or anything. I felt out of place, and I certainly didn't want to embarrass myself. 

"Yeah, but you can feel me, Seaweed Brain," Annabeth said. 

I could almost imagine the reassuring smile on her face. I was facing in her direction when she moved my hands to her waist. 

Then, she placed her hands around my neck. 

I immediately stiffened before relaxing. We were so close to each other, and it's been a long time since I've felt this way about anyone. 

"Come on, Seaweed Brain. You got to move," Annabeth said chuckling. 

My hands tightened around her waist, which brought us closer together. I could feel her breath against my face as we swayed to the music. 

All the background noise melted away as I absorbed the proximity to Annabeth. She radiated warmth, comfort, and passion as well. 

My feelings were so strong right now, but it was a nice sensation. 

"See now, this isn't so bad," Annabeth said softly. 

"No, not at all," I whispered back. 

We swayed and flowed a little more in comfortable and enjoyable silence. We talked quietly amongst ourselves until a serious question came. 

"Why are you always pushing away, Seaweed Brain?" Annabeth asked gently. 

I sighed. Honestly, I was expecting this. It was obvious that I liked her, but I had been pushing her away, regardless. 

I stopped dancing with regret. 

"Can we go and talk, Wise Girl? Somewhere else," I asked. 

"Yeah." 

Annabeth gently took my hand again and started to lead me (I assumed) towards a more private area. I could hear the flow of her dress as she moved fluidly. 

We stopped after a few seconds. 

"Here's you're walking stick," she said as she placed it into my hand. 

I nodded. However, I wanted to tell her that I was fine with her hand navigating me everywhere. She must've realized because she didn't let go of my hand as we walked out of the gym. 

We could still hear the commotion from the dance, but it was all background noise now. 

"So, tell me, what's up?" Annabeth asked in the hallway.