A new mother in training

Surprinsingly, the night at Lane's went off without a hitch. Rory was not proud of using pop-tarts as bribery to get the twins attention and stop the fight, but, once the screaming was over, things just started to flow naturally.

Even though Rory was a 33-year-old woman, she had a life experience in silly movies, fun games and junk food - the perks of being Lorelai Gilmore's daughter. So it was not hard to bond with Kwan and Steve over a superhero movie and a giant bowl of popcorn.

After an excited discussion about the importance of post-credits scenes on Marvel pictures, the boys got ready to go to bed. They were already asleep when Lane and Zack returned, a little more drunk than they would ever admit.

As the couple barged in the house kissing and giggling, Rory knew it was her cue to leave. It was good to see Lane happy and she didn't want to kill the mood. So she quietly got off the couch, snatched the book they bought earlier and reached the front door unnoticed, without saying goodbye.

Outside, it was a cozy night in Stars Hollow. The streets were already silent and the weather was perfect for a lazy walk. Rory decided to enjoy the occasion and took the long way back home, eager for some time alone to unwind.

As she passed by the town square and the gazebo, Rory remembered how scared she was about the pregnancy at first, not sure about being 'mother material'. All her life has always been career-oriented and she feared to be one of those harsh women who push children away, like her ex-stepmother Sherry did with her half sister Gigi.

But these feelings began to fade away after tonight. Of course Rory is not expecting to be elected 'Mommy of the year' only because she babysat a couple of hours. Still, it was nice to see she could connect with children, not just freeze or be annoyed in the presence of infants. That was definitely a good start.

Smiling at this little achievement, Rory crossed the final distance to her house and walked up the porch stairs. From the window, it was possible to see it was pitch-dark inside. Mom and Luke are probably already sleeping by now, she thought and tried to make less noise as possible to open the door without disturbing anyone.

Expecting a deadly silent welcome inside the house, Rory startled when Lorelai's voice came out of nowhere in a warning, followed by the sound of footsteps rushing downstairs.

"Don't go into your room!" Her mother shouted, suddenly turning on the lights.

"Jesus! Is this some kind of police operation? Are you going to arrest me now?" Rory gasped, with her heart pounding in her chest.

"Why? Did you steal another boat?" Lorelai teased with a mischievous smile on her face. "I was really hoping to keep you out of prison from now on, hon. But if you do the crime, you've got to pay the time. And I learned from the last Law & Order episodes it's better to cooperate if the cops ask for my help."

Rory gave her mom a cheerful fake laugh, happy they now could joke about that shameful moment of youth rebellion. "You're so funny. I think you should create a Youtube channel, go viral on the internet and win tons of money with your natural talent for comedy. You'd probably be one of the guests on The Ellen Degeneres show by now."

"Then I would have no more privacy. You know I don't exercise enough to run from the paparazzi," Lorelai replied with a clever grin. How her mother always could find a good comeback from any conversation amused Rory since she was a little girl. But, right now, she had no more willpower to continue the battle.

"Good night, mom!" Rory said, ignoring while Lorelai opened her mouth to speak again. "I'll tell you all about my babysitting debut tomorrow," she continued, heading to her room.