The third time is charm

I feel like I'm missing something.

Rory texted Lorelai, before immediately going through the papers in her file again. In a rinse-repeat loop, she has already checked five times to make sure everything was in order. Unfortunately, the sight of her résumé, two recommendation letters and a later issue of The Atlantic with one of her stories on the cover was not enough to calm her nerves.

Seconds after Rory closed the folder, the young journalist started the process once more. Keeping her hands busy was definitely better than the alternative, which was nervously fidgeting on her chair as long as she waited for the interview with the editor of Patch website.

Her mother finally texted back:

Are you wearing panties?

YES! WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT?

What's with all the yelling!? Given your past history, it doesn't hurt checking...

Ha-ha! Not helping. You're distracting me.

Oh, rats! You got me. ;D

Rory cracked a smile, feeling a little less tense for a moment. She's been on edge since she sent the email with a sample of her work two weeks ago. The journalist spent days basically sitting by the phone, anxiously picking up at the first ring and being disappointed many times by the voice on the other end of the line. It was a torture waiting for a callback.

Even when a date was finally set for the meeting in the beginning of February, it didn't get any easier. The girl couldn't help but wonder if the appointment was going to be postponed over and over again, just like Conde Nast did last year. So, all things considered, Rory woke up the day of the interview barely holding it together. And now it was difficult to remain calm in that quiet room. The girl was once more a bundle of nerves when her phone chimed.

Luckily, Lorelai decided to drive her daughter to the meeting in Hartford for moral support. So, she was well aware of Rory's state of mind and carried on with the chit chat to distract the journalist:

Do you have any gum?

Why on earth would I need gum NOW?

Well, as explained by Chandler Bing, gum is perfection. I find candy a great ice-breaker. You could offer the guy who is going to interview you.

Oh, God! You're right.

The young Gilmore checked her purse and replied.

I don't have any.

She sent another message, already starting to panic.

Could you run to the store on the corner and get some for me?

If you go fast I think you'd come back before they call me in.

Rory texted one sentence after another, giving no space for Lorelai's response.

The young Gilmore only stopped typing because her worst fears hit her at once. Does that mean I'm unprepared again? My past work is probably on the editor's desk already, but I didn't consider writing anything new on spec to bring today and impress this guy. She continued the self punishment in silence, her eyes now glazing over the phone screen. The decision to hire me is entirely on him and I showed up empty-handed for another job interview. What's wrong with me? I'm going to blow this just like I did with Sandee Says...

Deeply absorbed in doubt, Rory started to hyperventilate. That's when the celphone she was holding buzzed with a new message alert and snapped her out of the inner meltdown before she completely lost it.