Close Encounters of the Third Kind

"Are you sure you don't want to call him?" Lorelai questioned a very distracted Rory, who was looking out the car window. Christmas was in less than a week and trees on the side of the road were covered with a magical dusting of snow. She would prefer to enjoy the view and not engage in this conversation. It was the gazillionth time her mother asked this since the news about the pregnancy. The subject, of course, would be one of today's topics, on the way to another doctor's appointment in Hartford. Especially because it was finally time for the baby's first ultrasound.

Rory's answer remained the same. "No. I already told you. After I got the test results, I wrote him an email and explained the situation. This way he'll have time to process and think without pressure. He'll say something when he is ready."

Lorelai insisted. "But emails can get lost."

"I am sure he got the message. I sent it to his personal account, which is linked to his phone. And I also sent an email to his private assistant just asking to make sure he checks the inbox. This sistem always worked before," Rory confessed, watching the road to avoid eye contact with her mother. "I won't call because I don't want him to think I am asking him to come to my rescue. Whatever he decides it's not about me."

"Well, It is about you too." Her mother remarked.

"You know what I mean. This decision must be about the baby. Whether or not he wants to be a father. Not about we getting back together."

"Right. Because he has a fiancé." Lorelai muttered.

One I never asked him to leave, Rory thought. This was a part of her recent actions she wasn't ready yet to admit out loud. Or talk about it with her mother and confront the real issue. Having an affair was wrong, yet forgivable, if she at least could justify she was still madly in love. But that was not the case.

Truth is the 'Vegas agreement' was all she wanted. That's why she never felt the urge to push Logan into ending his engagement. Technically, she was also in a relationship with poor Paul - despite forgetting the guy existed when she didn't need a body to warm her bed in New York. Now, what does it say about the kind of person she has become?

Rory was feeling lost and the Huntzberger heir has always been a good companion to be lost with. So, when they met again years earlier and her life was nothing like expected, Rory grasped at him to escape reality and cushion the fall as she crashed. Logan would allow her to be reckless again, to live without thinking of the consequences, to be rootless or whatever. No judgement at all. However, at some point, it was time to wake up and face real life - especially when his fiancé moved in.

It's true they loved each other once. Rory would never deny this. The young Huntzberger stole her heart and challenged her to be more confident. But she knew, in the long run, it didn't fit anymore. She didn't belong to the world where Logan and his family lived.

In the past, Rory changed a lot to get into the inner circle of high society. Bit by bit, she buried big pieces of the girl who was raised by her crazy and independent mother Lorelai. Too high a price to pay. Logan didn't exactly ask for it. But she did it alone - conscious or not.

That's why Rory finally pulled the plug on their so-called relationship after the last adventure with The Life and Death Brigade. Saying goodbye was really hard. They sure had a lot of history together, but every ride has to end. Otherwise, Rory would be stuck in the same place forever.

The plot twist of the last reunion wasn't in her plans. But life is like that: simply unpredictable. For a moment, Rory considered not telling Logan about the baby at all. She didn't want to give false hopes of reigniting a romance, especially because she could complicate everything going back to old habits in a lonely day. It was impossible to forget the mess she experienced many times from Christopher and Lorelai, very often getting hurt in the middle. She didn't want to repeat the pattern.