A message from the old country

"I'm sorry I've judged you in the past for clipping coupons. I've gotta admit a piece of paper never brought me so much joy," Rory gushed, smiling at a bunch of handmade vouchers that guaranteed her useful favors from Stars Hollow's citizens.

"You should be happy. You got yourself way more than a discount to buy off-brand detergent, my friend. You have unlimited baby-sitting coupons covering everything from hair appointments and work emergencies to booty calls thanks to Miss Patty. That's the best gift you could get from a baby shower, considering Luke bought everything else months ago and our garage is filled with baby stuff." Lorelai cheered while they were walking back home.

"This town sure knows how to treat a lady," the girl continued and raised one of the handmade coupons with enthusiasm. "There's even a lifetime free slice of cake for rainy bad days. Awww!"

"Oh! Can any family member cash it in?"

"No, sorry. The cake rights are exclusive for Lorelai The second and her successors. There's a warning on the back. Weston's manager probably knows you would hire a Navajo tribe to do the rain ritual every day and come up with every sad story possible just to get free cake," Rory picked another coupon. "But the 10% percent discount on ice cream can be used by any person of the Gilmore clan."

"Now you're talking."

"You should've given me a heads up about the baby shower, mom. If I knew they were going to throw the party so early on, I'd have asked Logan to change his schedule so we could try the ultrasound again sooner to find out the sex of the baby."

"Sorry, the town wanted to be a surprise and they didn't want to wait. Lane said people got kinda traumatized by your graduation party. So now they were afraid you could get in labour early and ruin their plans. Long story short: they took a vote and the majority would rather go along with the mystery of Bennie's identity than risk waiting. You know normal is a word that is not in Stars Hollow's dictionary"

"True!" Rory chuckled. "Well, the cupcakes with the phrase 'Bennie for now' written on top will surely guarantee a lot of story to tell in the future."

"That's all on Sookie. It was her idea. Including the cake shaped as a question mark." Lorelai bragged.

"It was a nice touch too. I loved everything..." The young Gilmore paused for a sec and the smile on her face hesitated. "But grandma really bothered me."

"That's what I've been trying to tell you since you were Bennie's age. But you've never listened to me."

"I'm serious. Did you notice she spent almost the entire party with Mrs. Kim? Doesn't it seem fishy?

"Mom was a big fan of the antique shop. It was practically the only thing she ever praised about Stars Hollow. Maybe they were closing a deal."

"I don't know... I felt grandma was avoiding me and she knew Mrs. Kim would be the perfect human shield to keep me away. I think she is hiding something."

"If I didn't know Emily Gilmore, I was going to say you sound a bit paranoid. However the last time she behaved suspiciously, she was in cahoots with Christopher and trying to separate me from Luke. So, I get why you're worried about it. But what could she possibly do now?"

As soon as the question was casted at the universe, the answer apparently materialized. The girls got home and came across a man standing on the porch. He was wearing an expensive suit, just like Logan. But this unexpected visitor didn't have the same charm.

Rory immediately recognized Mitchum Huntzberger and paralised for a moment in sidewalk. His cold expression was matching the chilly weather in the beginning of March. Suddenly, even the house she always loved seemed beaten by the man's overbearing presence.