Look who's talking

"Is it silly I thought they would put me in a hospital gown? I even put on my newly bought underwear for this. Now I realized it is not going to be seen, because the doctor will only lift my shirt a bit for the ultrasound," Rory walked around the examination room and sat on the bed, rambling.

"You missed the chance to go commando today, sister."

"I'd pass it anyway. My 'no underwear' days are over. That's a life experience I don't need to repeat," Rory shook her head, pushing the idea away.

It was a bit of a shock when no witty response came from Lorelai. The underwear issue has been an endless inspiration for her jokes and anecdotes. But apparently it wasn't a hot topic today.

The unusual quiet reaction drew Rory's attention to her mother, who seemed a little unease in the pale light of the room. Lorelai, always so confident, appeared to be almost as nervous as Rory. Something difficult to believe since she had been in this situation before.

"What's up with you? I know I am nervous because all this is new for me. But not for you... Though it's been a while, I don't think the ultrasound exam or prenatal care changed that much."

"Well, this is my first time in grandmother's shoes."

"Ow..." Rory observed her mother pacing in the small space.

"What if this unleashes a secret Emily Gilmore side of me, hidden somewhere deep inside? Like Dr. Jekyll turning into Mr. Hyde. I may just unconsciously become my mother. That's the most terrifying plot twist ever," Lorelai opened up.

"If it's any consolation Mr. Hyde only surfaces after Dr. Jekyll takes a mysterious serum. So, I think you can prevent the transformation if you stay away from suspicious liquids."

"My God! You are really my daughter. Exhausting just like me," Lorelai whined.

"Hey," Rory continued the mission to put her mother out of misery. "It's true we had our quarrels and fallouts over the years, but we always figure things out. No doubt we have enough training for this. I believe we are more than ready for the next chapter, granny."

A sheepish smile worked its way across Lorelai's face. Her tension was slowly fading away. "My nervous breakdown felt just like a cheesy Glee episode, huh? You should burst into a song now. The doctor and the assistant will immediately appear to join you."

"I wonder which song Ryan Murphy would write in our script?" Rory encouraged.

"Let's see... A modern cover of Love Lift Us Up Where We Belong..."

"Pass!"

"... Or a mother and daughter duet to Ain't no Mountain High Enough."

"Only if I get to be Marvin Gaye. And there's no dancing involved."

"Deal!" Lorelai nodded, her expression more relaxed. "And congratulations for the excellent pep talk."

"Well, I've been practicing."

"It paid off. You should include this in your résumé."

Rory studied her mother once more. After she was sure Lorelai calmed down, the girl carried on. "Since we are sharing and we are trapped here waiting for the doctor... Can I ask something?"

"Is it about that slice of cheesecake on the fridge?" A guilty Lorelai spoke almost in a whisper, looking at her feet.

"No..."

"Then, hit me!" Her mother clicked her tongue.

"Wait... Did you eat the cheesecake of a pregnant lady?"