Job Wanted

"Do you know how disturbing it is to see you stalking Kirk on social media like that?" Lorelai fixed herself a cup of coffee, looking at Kirk's Facebook page displayed on Rory's laptop screen. "I know pregnancy is supposed to make you feel needy, but you joining Tinder to find a date in your current stage would be less creepy than the idea of having Kirk as my son in law. Should I be worried?" She sat with her daughter at the kitchen table.

"Ha-ha, very funny. Add that to your stand-up routine, Joan Rivers..." Rory feigned a smile at Lorelai and turned again to the laptop. "You'll probably call me crazy, but I think there's a good idea here for... something... I just can't put my finger on it yet."

"I get the man had every possible job in Stars Hollow and mostly in the Central Connecticut area, but is he really the best option for career guidance?"

"He surely had something to say about a millennial college grad, with no qualification in customer service, asking Taylor for a temporary job at Doose's..."

"Mmm... So your Kirk obsession is because of that curriculum review post last week?"

"Oh, no! Although I was not happy to be news on Stars Hollow Page Six and I'm still looking over my shoulder for paparazzi Kirk after fresh gossip, Taylor was right not hiring me for the manager position. I have no experience. Going with the girl from the 30 something gang was the best option. She has a business degree and is a better fit than me. Plus, it is a job she can put on her resumeé. For me, it was just a way to stay solvent while I finish the book and think of my next move."

Luke, who was upstairs until now, entered the kitchen and bluntly jumped in the conversation.

"Is Kirk bothering you again, Rory?" He said looking at the computer screen. "Don't pay attention to this crap. It's Kirk for Christ sake. The man is a lunatic. No one takes him seriously."

"Lulu does," the girl chuckled, "and although he may be insane, his financial status is better than mine. He sure had 250 grand to make an offer on the Twickham house years ago."

"Maybe the man hit his first million by now and is getting ready to replace Trump as the new host of The Apprentice," Lorelai added with a playful grin.

"If it is so, then I'm the first contestant he fired and the season hasn't even started." Rory wailed, leaning the elbows on the table and resting her chin on her hand.

Luke exhaled firmily and scratched his baseball cap. "You're missing the point. You know you're more than enough qualified, Rory. I have that magazine article on the menu as a reminder for everyone. I'd hire you anytime," he weighed for a moment and continued. "In fact, if you are interested in making some quick cash you can work at the diner, or help at the inn. Right, Lorelai?! Just say a word."

"Yeah... Sure," the mother agreed, but a hint of uncertainty escaped in her voice.

"Thanks, you both, but no. If I accept that, it's like you are giving me an allowance and I'm not 16 anymore," Rory spotted a sparkle of pride in Lorelai's expression by the answer. "To be honest, I should be offering my services whenever you need, no payment necessary. It's the least I can do for all the support, free rent and endless food resources. Seriously..." She examined their faces to assure her gratitude. "Besides, Doose's wasn't my only bet, I registered in a few freelance websites and already applied for some gigs. They don't pay a lot, but I can work from home and some things are possible to do in an afternoon. And there are pretty interesting projects, like proofreading some sort of magazine. Maybe I can make connections. Let's see."

"If you change your mind..." Luke pressed.

"I know where you live, mister."

The grouchy man nodded and then left the house to prepare for the evening rush hour at the diner. As soon the girls were alone again in the kitchen, Lorelai insisted.