A Christmas Carol - Part One

Even if the books explained that morning sickness usually fades by the end of the first trimester, Rory was one more time on the bathroom floor, leaning over the toilet seat and feeling the entire strength of her body dried out. It was never how she would picture a lovely Christmas Eve. But the arrival of the festivities was all over the kitchen, where Luke and Sookie were preparing a feast for tonight, bickering at each other every step of the recipes.

Lorelai was entertained by the live performance of Hell's Kitchen until the moment Rory rushed to the bathroom. That was enough to make her drop the Gordon Ramsay's impression, put down her cup of coffee and reach the fridge for a lemon - because some magazine said it could ease the nausea, although it was not scientifically proven yet.

Rory was already on the bathroom floor when Lorelai got to the doorway. She froze for a moment at the image. Before pregnancy, the only time she saw her daughter in this position was ages ago. An adventure fueled with many cups of Miss Patty's non-FDA-approved Founder's Day punch that ended up with Rory puking her guts out and crying because of the man who is now the father of her baby. It was hard to shake off that scene of a mother's brain, especially when Lorelai often thought of that day as a turning point to a series of decisions sending Rory further within the world of the rich and privileged. Until today, she wasn't certain if her daughter ever made the way back from that path.

Sure Rory left the Gilmore mansion, went back to Yale and never stole another yacht. But a life in boxes, rootless, condescending blow outs in job interviews, lack of steady paycheck in years... Nothing like someone who used to love planning, organization and hardworking.

Anyhow, Lorelai has been forced to remind herself that Rory was now a 33 year old woman, not a kid. Advices were given whenever requested. Yet, in the end, Rory's decisions were her decisions. As a mother, she could only worry where these choices were going to lead.

With eyes still closed, Rory didn't catch the concerned look that swiftly crossed her mother's face. The girl was doing her best gathering energy to recompose after another sickness hit.

"Are you interested in giving a contribution to science?" Lorelai joined Rory on the floor for moral support. "I read in some really substantial and accurate fashion magazine that a sniff of citrus fruit relieves the nausea." She handed her daughter the lemon. "Apparently, it works for Angelina Jolie and she's got two pregnancies on me. So, why don't you give it a go?"

Rory took half of the lemon, a little suspicious. "Now I feel like a lab rat in some experiment."

"But not an ordinary lab rat. One with a fancy Ivy League degree. You would be in your cage thinking of plans for world domination... Uh, uh, like Pinky and the Brain." Lorelai joshed.

"Probably suits me," Rory scolded. "Everything they plan ends in failure."

"Hey, don't talk like that about my daughter," Lorelai slightly shoved the girl's shoulder. "You know one thing we can learn from that cartoon? Those two little fellows never give up. They change the plan every episode. So, you try again. Come up with a new plan. You are not dead."

"Only you could find a piece of wisdom watching 90's classic animations," Rory taunted.

"One of my many talents. Maybe I should start writing down these ideas and turn them into a book someday, huh? 365 life lessons from pop culture. It is catchy, right? Daily doses of inspiration, like Oprah in 'The Wisdom of Sundays'. You ghostwrite it and make me look trustworthy and bang! We have a best seller and tons of money."

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Remember the crazy Naomi Shropshire? My last attempt to ghostwrite didn't go very well."

"Yeah... But I'm the crazy lady you know your entire life. Plus, you have half of my genes."