The talk of the town

"No, no, no, no... It's worse than when I didn't publish the spring poem on the cover," Rory said, pacing in the living room and holding her head on her hands.

"I can say it's mine. It will create a diversion and cover you for a while," Lorelai raised her eyebrows. "I already put on a couple pounds. So everyone is going to buy it. Bonus, I can eat all I want without any judgement or body shaming." She smirked and started moving towards the window, after glimpsing a movement outside on their front lawn. Of course, Babette was going to be the first one to reach the house.

"Mom..." Rory protested.

Lorelai continued the mockery to distract her. "But I think Luke has to go. He is gonna break, man. The second people say the word 'baby'. Under all that flanel, he is a softie." Sneakily, she checked all the windows downstairs and drew the curtains. "So I say we kill him and bury in the backyard to go on with our plan. We'll have to find another place to eat, but that's what google is for, ha!" She said on her way back from the kitchen, after making sure the back door was locked before Babbete could get there.

Usually, Lorelai and Rory always left the house unlocked in Stars Hollow. It was a safe place to live. The crime rate was below zero, as Taylor always praised in town meetings. The only thing to worry about was one of the peculiar townspeople entering unannounced. Today, however, that was exactly what they wanted to prevent.

"How long?" Rory suddenly asked.

"To go full Criminal Minds and murder Luke?"

"No! For the welcoming people of our friendly town get here," Rory snorted. "Although, I might add, I'm feeling a bit concerned about your recent obsession with crime shows."

"Hey, that's all on Luke. It's the only thing the man agrees to watch without a fight. And it's not like I had you here these last years to outnumber him!" Lorelai widened her eyes and tightened her body, stunned by the sight, through the curtains, of more shadows gathering outside. Miss Patty and Kirk had already joined Babette and Morey in the prying inspection of the Gilmore house. A noise revealed one of them attempting to open the back door.

"Did you hear that?" Rory left her miserable state and was ready to investigate.

"I'm sure it's just Paul Anka" Lorelai waved, trying not to freak out Rory. Then, she grabbed the girl's shoulders and slightly pushed her in the direction of the stairs. She instinctively lowered her voice to keep it casual and smoothly get them far from the commotion on the other side of the front door. "Why don't we continue this conversation upstairs, huh? We can have facials and enjoy that fancy big bathroom Luke got mommy to make up for his terrible taste in TV shows. It's the perfect way to relax after this stressful morning."

A little reluctant, Rory followed her lead. "But don't you have to go back to wor..."

The doorbell interrupted the rest of the sentence, announcing the unwanted visitors. Rory looked at Lorelai completely frightened and just obeyed as her mother gestured some kind of crazy military secret operation command to keep moving upstairs.

From her bedroom window, Lorelai saw when Taylor and even Gipsy arrived, joining the group. All of them just walking around the house and looking for any clues about the new gossip of the town. Or waiting for an opportunity to corner one the residents and get the facts straight from the source. She kept it cool and shut the curtains fast, turning to Rory.

"Well, How about I take a day off and we start a "knocked up movie marathon"? I think the classic from the 80's, Look Who's Talking, is the best choice, given your situation. It provides a clear image of the moment of conception - not that you need more information," She scoffed. "Plus, we can hear the voice of Bruce Willis as a spermatozoid slash baby and there is a lot of young John Travolta before Hairspray to ease the eye. I just need to call the Inn and..."