Leaving

Halime laughed happily as she watched her husband run in the Nevruz sheep race, but her insides were sad. She held her stomach and whispered, "I don't want to leave you Osman, but it is for the best." She recalled the letter she was sent yesterday and sighed. Osman was coming any day now, and then she had to leave.

Halime Sultan and Ertugrul Bey went to the palace to give Ares. Sultan Aladdin came to see Halime privately later.

"Halime. You grew up so much."

"Sultan Aladdin!" She gave her head a slight bow, but he just laughed, telling her there was no need for formalities. Then he became serious.

"With the traitors on the loose, I don't know how long I will stay alive. If I pass, I need someone to help the State from the inside. Someone no one will suspect. I need you, kizim. You will receive a letter when they need you. Halime, please help the State. For the sake of our kin."

She nodded with a straight face.

Now the letter had been sent, and Halime was waiting for Osman to come. She didn't want to endanger him. She had a plan. She was to die after giving birth to Osman. There was no other way Ertugrul would let her go.

——————————

Osman was born and Halime looked at the healthy baby. She set him on her lap and took some food powder from the table. She applied it around her face, to make it look pale. Then she went and lay back down. She carefully touched her neck in a way that she fell unconscious. And no one could tell she was alive.

Right before the burial, Halime got out of the casket. She stuffed it with pillows and took one last look at the tribe. She didn't know if she would return. It may be years, or months, or only days. But she already was filled with the longing of Ertugrul's warm breath. She sighed and ran. Away from everything and everyone.