Chapter 15

This was it. The moment everyone had been anticipating for. Everything was crystal clear now. It all had to happen, no matter what. And despite the fact that Damola felt tied down by this decision, he knew he had no other option but to finally give in to his father's demands. He was helpless now. He already lost.

"You will propose to her today." Terry was saying, over the phone. Meanwhile, Damola was still in great shock over the news that he'd just heard. Not the fact the Segun was finally back to the country again, no. That was far from it. Instead, this news was way more grave than that.

"Dad," Damola couldn't even believe how solemn and helpless he sounded. "Please. Please, don't do this. I'll never be happy with her." When a man has been brought to his knees, his ego shoved aside like a piece of rag, and his pride bruised beyond recognition - that's when he's humbled and would forget to lift his chin up while speaking. That was the exact same scenario in this case.

Finally having to beg his own father, Damola could barely believe this was happening. "That friend of yours has been enough distraction, Damola. So if you wouldn't like anything to happen to her, then please go ahead and get married to Chelsea." At the sound of his father's menacing voice, Damola held onto his cellphone tighter than he should've. His knuckles we're almost white, and his patience was running through a thin thread. He'd lose it, if his father didn't stop trying to threaten him, whilst using Kunmi as an excuse.

"Dad, she just came back! For f*ck's sake, dad! Leave her alone! Don't even dare try to do anything stupid!" Damola yelled, and rained more profanities upon his father.

Terry, across the line, simply let out a satisfied chuckle. He was glad Mr. Uche had informed him about Damola and Kunmi's closeness over the past weeks they'd been in Abuja. And if he (Terry) could remember correctly, Kunmi was the exact same girl, who nursed a tomboyish attitude of which he never liked.  She was the exact same girl who left the country three years ago, and came back for reasons best known to her. He didn't like her, and he never did - and probably never would. But, his son had been close friends with her ever since they were in secondary school. Although he never liked the girl, his stubborn son never even cared if he even did.

"You should be worried more about Mr. Asogwa. Don't forget, he can go to any lengths just to see you married to his daughter. This is inevitable, Damola. So I'll advice you don't make decisions that will end up taking a person's life. You already know how powerful the Asogwa's are. And so, if Kunmi is the way to get you to get married to Chelsea, then I'll have you know that he'd do anything in his power to see to it that it happens. Even if it means killing that tomboy of a friend you have." Damola lost it, at this point.

"How can you even say that?!" Damola roared at his father. "What's Kunmi's business with this?! What exactly is her fault in all this?!" He tried to calm down, but he already knew he was far too pissed to do that. "Is it the fact that I took her with me to the party? Or the fact that you both are just plain heartless? Which one is it, dad?" He said the word 'dad' with so much disdain laced in every syllable that proceeded from his mouth.

Terry sighed. "She has no hand in any of this, true. But you're also a very stubborn young man. If you don't want anything happening to her, then it's best that you simply comply and get married to Chelsea without any fret. Got that?!" It was Terry's turn to yell, for a change.

Damola sighed, and ran a hand over his disheveled dreads which he had been pulling and tugging at, ever since the beginning of this conversation. "I swear to God who made me, if you lay as much as a finger on her, I will make sure I kill you with my bare hands!" Without thinking twice, the words slipped out of Damola's mouth, with ease. Even so, he didn't regret a moment of it.