Chapter 22

"What happened back there?" Femi had a very serious look on his face. He and Damola were seated on barstools, right beside the large bar, and with a shot of Whiskey placed beside them.

Damola offered a nervous smile, as he brought his glass of Whiskey up to his lips. "Chill. I'll explain." He said, afterwards.

"You had better," Femi snapped, and Damola winced internally. "Like, I mean, what is she doing here? What the hell happened to you two being sworn enemies?" Femi licked his lips, in pure exasperation. "Look, don't get me wrong... I'm not saying that I want you two to be enemies or anything like that. I'm just so effing confused!" Femi further exclaimed, and Damola heaved a sigh.

"Kunmi has been in Abuja for a month now. Not gonna lie, this whole thing is just plain freaky— yeah, I can tell. But... I guess it was all meant to happen," Femi rolled his eyes at Damola's words, and urged him to continue. "Anyway, sure, the first time we bumped into each other, I wanted to rip her apart— sorta... Not in the 'other' kind of way, y'know?" He play full nudged Femi. "That's if you get my drift? That aside, we kind of made up. Then things went back to normal again, then she asked that I keep her presence here a secret — and forgive me, bro — but I had to keep that promise. Nonetheless... I, um, I think I went over the boundaries and sprouted feelings for her without permission and—"

"YOU WHAT?!" Femi exclaimed, as shock found a way to bite it his veins. "It's a lie... So Kunmi, our friend from secondary school Kunmi, is the same girl you've talking about? The same one you frickin like?!"

Damola rubbed a palm over his face, feeling embarrassed by his friend's outburst. "If you could please be less of an idiot about it, then that'll be just fine." He glared at Femi, but the young man was still shaken by the aftermath of that unexpected confession.

"So wait... She knows you like her?" Femi suddenly asked.

"No." Damola sighed. "That's the frickin point, you baboon. I told her, by mistake oh, when I was drunk. So I guess she didn't take me seriously. Which, by the way, is a very good thing." Damola replied, and Femi shook his head in disbelief.

"What happened to bros before hoes?" Femi quirked an inquisitive brow at Damola.

In return, Damola rolled his tired eyes. "Don't call her a hoe." He deadpanned.

"Will you beat me?" A smirk slid into Femi's plump, red lips.

Damola snorted. "Maybe."

A brief silence filled them both, as they each took sips out of their respective drinks. Both lost in their own thoughts.

"But guy, though. Who would've ever thought you'd end up liking Kunmi more than a friend? And don't get me wrong, 'cause Kunmi is a really amazing girl and all that. But Jehovah! I no prepare for this kine shock,man." Femi chuckled as he said this, and Damola smiled.
["I did not prepare do this kind of shock, man"].

"I guess I'm just that irresistible." He smirked, and Femi rolled his eyes at him.

"Seriously, though, I really need to talk to Kunmi. I'm not happy with the fact that were so grown apart." Femi sighed.

Meanwhile, Damola was already thinking ahead of his friend, Femi. "Guy, how far Chioma? Does—does she know Kunmi is here? At this party?"

Femi froze, and licked his chapped lips. It felt like cold water got doused on him, the minute he began to fathom the possibilities of Chioma not being happy to see Kunmi at the engagement party. He groaned.

"Dude, I'm not ready for girl drama one-o-one at all. Like, how did I frickin forget that those two hate each other?!" Femi groaned again, and slowly began to get off of the barstool he had been sitting on. "Omo, make I go find my wife abeg. Kasala go soon burst as I dey see am so oh."
["Let me go and find my wife, please. Trouble is about to arise from what I'm seeing."].