34: My kind of happy ending

VOS

I tilt my neck to the side to crack its stiffness as I gazed upon the Queen and Orion who was discussing on the final verdict of the rebels; It has been eight hours and after hearing all of the accounts from the different sides and witnesses, it was quite obvious the rebels were planning another coup but some people were merely associated while some were prisoners black mailed. They couldn't be given the same punishment, hence the discussion. The entire parliament wanted the death of everyone, but the Queen being as compassionate as she is and compared with the punishment of the last rebels who were ordered into literal silence, the difference would be to vast and might receive backlash from the citizens and some of the alphas around the kingdom. 

"We'll go into a recess while we finish discussing, twenty minute break." The Queen orders and almost immediately everyone relaxes the moment the Queen and Orion enters a room at the far left of the royal court. The closest aids, the elders and the alphas, Yes, that includes Alpha Link, who were called upon immediately stood up and followed them. 

"Alpha Vos, won't you go?" I look up at the haggard Jed who obviously have not slept in days as he was the Queen's current guard and right hand. 

"Orio- Alpha Orion hasn't officially stepped down as the Alpha of the knights, it wouldn't be proper etiquette to go right now." I reply with a chuckle as I see the surprised look on his face. 

"Ah, I've been in the camps for so long that I forgot there etiquette even existed." I shake my head silently. It wasn't only that. The Queen, Sapphire, Red and even Orion, they're all easy going people. They have the aura that can make you respect them in a single glance but at the same time, they are merciful and compassionate. They do not punish someone for as simple as a lapse in etiquette because they know there are much more pressing issues in our world right now. Truly, they were an odd royal ensemble.  

"Well, if you change your mind, no one would dare say anything about you being in there." I giving him an answering smile as he walks away, immediately reaching the other side of the court room. 

I finally allow myself to relax and lean back against the cushioned black chair and massage my temples. The smell of freshly brewed coffee wafts through the air and I turn to a servant who was entering with a food cart, I turn away and adjust my legs under the wooden table, itching to get back to Red. We've barely established out mating before we were disrupted by rebels. Thinking about the whole thing made me frown again as my gaze travels to Darla, who had been sneaking glances at me this entire time. It was impossible not to notice as her gaze was heavy and filled with longing but the part of my heart that longed for her and loved her had since long before died and fell off. Right now, she was nothing but to me but a jealous woman who had attempted to get close to Red. 

At the thought of anything happening to Red had my wolf coming forward and I let him. Darla should see how intimidating I can be if I am not on her side. She isn't scared of me and she thinks she can still get me back but that's because she hasn't seen how ruthless I am to those who I have no care for. She must have forgotten that she was the reason half of my pack was murdered in cold blood. 

I clench my fist and internally curse Abe for killing Red's wolf. Moments like this I would want to speak to her but as I've realized earlier, the mind link between us wasn't strengthened enough because we have only mated once. We barely had any time to spend together just thinking about her body- STOP. Stop right there Vos. You're in a hearing, you'll see her after this anyway. Yep, I should just thinking about blood and murder. 

After twenty agonizing minutes with my wolf scratching at the surface of my mind attempting to reach Red, he finally gave up just as The Queen exited from the discussion room.