3: 100 times a therapist was needed

RED

I groan when I was suddenly pulled out of my sleep by a rather strong arm shaking me awake.

"Oh Red! You're fine!" I frown and finally open my eyes to get my bearings but all I see is Red hair. Lots of it.

"Mom? Want to explain why you're shaking me awake at-" I glance at the gold encrusted grandfather's clock at the corner of my room, "-4 am in the morning?"

It was still dark out and the only light illuminating my room was coming from my slightly ajar door and I could faintly hear hurried footsteps and urgent voices on the far end of the hall. "Mom, what's happening?" I pull away and study my mom's slightly disheveled features. "Mom. What is happening?"

She sighs and rests her hand on top of her chest, trying to calm herself down. "Some of the Rebel loyalists attempted to escape, for some reason they have poisoned the guards and was able to get the keys. We think there might be a mole in the palace."

Her words got my full attention, making my wolf alert of our surroundings. "I- I just thought maybe they could have gotten to you again." I sigh. Her worries are completely valid.

"Mom, the didn't get to me last time, Henry technically sold me to them." My mother's caring worried demeanour automatically shifted to annoyance as she slapped my hand.

"That's not funny, Reddiane!" I laugh and out of impulse, hug my mom, something I haven't done since we entered the palace.

"I know but there's too much going on right now and if we don't find a way to laugh a little, we'd be damning ourselves to eternal sadness." I state quietly, feeling a deep emptiness in my chest. How can my heart feel so heavy but hollow at the same time?

"Red, tell me what's wrong." She gets on her feet, closes the double doors softly and locks it behind her and faces me slowly. "You haven't been yourself for the past months; I know something happened and you're not telling me."

I hold my breath as she walks towards my bed and sits on my mattress gently. I notice she's still in her night gown and has no shoes on; probably in a hurry to get to me. I should tell her shouldn't I? She's my mother and she only wants what's best for me but knowing her, she might go all ape fudge crazy on Abe. I mean, not that I care but it would be such a hassle trying to explain to people why a well respected doctor is acting an Alpha.

"I found my mate." I watch as my mother processes my words slowly. I could literally see the gears in her brain turning as she tries to grasp the sentence. "And he has a chosen mate."

Silence.

Just when I thought she'd need more time to process my words, her face contorts into a very unpaintable picture. She's mad.

Very mad.

"Mom?"

She takes a deep breath and then lets it all out. "REDDIANE THOMPSON! WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?! WHO IS THIS BASTARD?" My eyes widen at the sheer volume of her voice and I immediately hop up to put my hands over her mouth.

"Mom! You'll alert people!" I mean everyone's on high alert and my mother screaming inside of my room will for sure make people come this way.

She removes my hands harshly from her mouth and glares at me. "I don't care! I need a name, Red!"

"Why?" I wanted to keep this secret as hushed as possible. The more people know about it, it becomes more true.

"Because I won't treat him—No, more like I will not let anyone in the hospital wing treat him if he's injured." I laugh despite the heaviness I felt and the low mood my wolf is in. Talking about our mate does that to her.