2: The fine art of bullsh*t

RED

"You really shouldn't have done that." I turn around and glare at Link wordlessly then continue stomping my way through the carpeted palace corridors ignoring the servants who bowed and the odd looks from the guards milling around. "Red." I ignore him and pick up the pace, I just wanted to be alone. "Red."

"What!?" I exclaim and finally turn to Link who was still in his workout clothes; my wolf was still snarling, hanging by a thread anything can set me off right now and Link wasn't helping. My frustration was eating away at my sanity little by little I don't think I can take anymore of this. 

I stare at Link helplessly, refusing for my tears to fall. My chest felt so tight and heavy. It was getting harder to breathe and the air around the castle felt so suffocating; especially with the image of Abe and Melanie together. It was pure torture to see my mate comfort another, to see him so easily hug another woman in front of me. Was I really that worthless to him?

"You know I'd die just to protect you, right?" My heart stopped at his words as a frown marred my forehead.

"What are you talking about?" I breathe out as confusion fogs my head.

"I'm saying that you're one of the most important people in my life." I let out another shaky breath at his confession. I don't know where this is going but I can't find it in me to feel excited or nervous about his words— not with Abe and Melanie hanging over my head. 

"Link-" I start but am instantly cut off.

"No, hear me out." He takes three steps to close the distance between us and silently gathers me into his arms. "I know we've only known each other for a few months but that does not mean I don't already value you."  His arms tighten around me making my heart instantly stop cold.

Is he saying he likes me? I feel my wolf lift her head in interest but still remained listless in the corner of my consciousness.

"I've been in the camps since I was a teen; All I knew was how to fight, how to be loyal and how to survive. I never had fun— I couldn't. I just wanted to escape to do anything in my power to escape but then I was told I had to kidnap you." At this, I attempt to get out of his arms only to be encased even more, his masculine scent was starting to invade my system slowly and dare I say it, I loved the way he smelled.

"I was told I had to kidnap you and take you to the camps. Something I will never regret because then I gained a friend. My first friend in a long time." Right. Of course friend. Of course he wouldn't like me. I'm his brother's mate!

As he pauses in the middle of his spiel, I find enough strength to pull away, with some help from my wolf and give him the most bored look I could muster. "Link, not that I don't appreciate this talk or anything but what's your point?"

He chuckles before squishing my cheeks together, much like what I did with Sapphire just a while ago. "My point is, I know my brother might have made you feel worthless but just know you mean a lot to me— to the point where I would gladly give my life up for you."

I roll my eyes, refusing to acknowledge the tinge in my chest. "No, you'd give your life up for your mate."

"My mate-"

A loud growl interrupted whatever Link was about to say, and I didn't even have to turn around to know that it belonged to my mate.

"Get your hands off her!" He declares as his heavy footsteps make its way towards us.

"Why should I do that? I quite like Red this way." I roll my eyes again and reach up to remove Link's hands from my face. Already feeling my anger start to bubble up in the surface.