16: An Alpha scorned.

Leave.

I quietly get up from my seat and turn around as I hear Melanie's scream echo against the huge hall. People around us were still silent and no one knew what to do after the Queen left. Absolved matings are very rare and the last time something like this happened was probably fifty years ago, it's not surprising that people would be clueless and awkward.

With a heavy chest, I walk out of the hall trying to keep my head high and to keep my lips from quivering. I want to cry too. I want to throw a tantrum too. I want to scream, I just want whatever this weight on my chest is to leave me. I want to exhale this burden. I'm so tired of it.

"Red." I breathe in and hold my breath until I've fully faced him-My own breath of fresh air personified.

"Hey waterfly!" I greet cheerfully, as an instant calm washed over me. The scent of pine and mint penetrated against the air and surrounded me with nothing but comfort.

"Come here." Before I could react, he reaches me in three steps and wraps his arms around me, effectively pushing me into his chest and engulfing me in warmth; but somehow it seemed like he needed a hug more than I did.

So hug him you nitwit!

I slowly wrap my arms around his waist and bury my face in his chest as I inhale his scent deeply- I can smell better now, I don't know if this means my wolf is returning but if she is, I want her to take her time and heal, I don't want her out in this harsh world- and cherish this moment. I don't get many peaceful moments like this anymore.

"I hate it." I turn my head up towards him and give him a questioning look. "I hate that you still feel for him but I hate the fact that I understand it more."

I smile at his words and hug him tighter. "Don't worry-"

"Alpha." Vos' hold around me tightens as I attempt to turn around.

"They're here." I finally free myself from him just enough to meet the eyes of the woman who was glaring at me earlier- or now- because she's still glaring at me.

"I'll be there in five." I shiver at his Alpha tone and smile as butterflies enter my system.

Before the woman leaves, she gives me a once over with her black eyes then flicks her black hair to the side and walks away.

"I think she hates me." I state out loud, staring after he form.

"Rory hates everyone." I gasp and turn around with eyes wide.

"Is she your beta?" He nods his head and plants a kiss on my forehead, effectively making me blush.

"Look, I have to go but I'll come find you later with a surprise." I eagerly nod my head and plant a small kiss on his lips.

                       •           •          •

I wander around the palace for a bit And find myself back where I started; the palace lobby.

With everyone busy and Sapphire still in vacation, there really isn't much to do.

You can study traditions and palace protocols...

Nope, never mind. Sorry I mentioned it.

I roll my eyes at myself but freeze when his scent hit me.

"Red."

You're going to have to face him eventually.

"What?" I turn around slowly and almost gasp at the sight of my mate. His hair was disheveled, his clothes were a mes and his yes were rimmed with red.

He had been crying and I hate that it feels heavy on my shoulders. Like it was my fault.

"Are you happy now?" Okay, I wasn't expecting that.

"What?" I ask again, concentrating on taking my breaths evenly. "Why would I be happy?"

"Because Melanie got the harshest sentence that could be given to her!" My eyes widen in realisation. Abe was going through the first stage of losing a chosen and he's decided to take it out on me.

Stay strong, Don't back down.

I laugh a dry laugh and hide my shaking hands behind me. If anything were to happen, I would lose instantly. He is an Alpha and the only training I have was from the camps.

"Harsh?" I ask, and clench my fists. "That wasn't harsh!" I yell, letting my anger flame the rage building on my chest. "What's harsh is, seeing my mate so torn and broken over a bitch that tried to kill me!"

His pupils turned black and I knew he was fighting his wolf. His wolf's loyalty is mine butt his human is Melanie's.

"All she wanted was to be a mother! She was ready to change!" I laugh again, the anger consuming me bit by bit.

"And all I wanted was a loyal mate but I didn't get that either!" I scream, exasperated and uncaring whether anyone heard us. This conversation has been going the same pace, I'm tired of it.

"She never tried to kill you, Red." I smirk.

"The fact that she had allied with the King, is enough proof. She may have not tried to kill me directly but the moment we escaped from the camps, the moment I vowed to see those kids safe; I was risking my life. Rebels were after us and those rebels were her uncles." Abe swallowed hard, his eyes still shifting colors. "She gave them Information about my mother and I, she used that to her advantage and told her father we allied were with Sapphire and Lady Noelle. Whether she did it on purpose or not, she had a hand in all I went through and I will never forgive her for that."

"I loved her." He looks away from me with his fists clenched. "I love her."

It felt like a dense brick was thrown on my chest that I couldn't help but stagger back at his confession.

"I know." I replied, trying to quell the pressure behind my eyes.

"But I was willing to try for you. The moment I laid eyes on you, I knew that I would do anything and everything to keep you" I laugh dryly, tears coming at the corner of my eyes as the pressure behind my eyes and head was starting to build up aggressively. "I mean- I thought I was... but I realised that I never really cared for you. It was my wolf that pushed me."

No matter how many times I told myself I hated him, it still hurt. "Then accept my rejection after I get my wolf back."

"No, I want you to suffer like she did!" Then, it happened so quickly, even I couldn't react.

A ringing in my ears blocked all auditory input from getting in my system my head exploded with pain where I felt like my head was being split open. My body started to fall on it's own and from the corner of my eyes the palace doors open with Sapphire running at full speed and attacked Abe while Vos and Orion ran after her but that didn't matter at the moment, because the only image inside my head were the words I read from his lips.

'I reject you'

Hey! So sorry for this late update! But tadaaa!!

Comment, subscribe, smile and love <3

Oh and take your vitamins!
Stay hydrated!
Wash your hands!