Last resort (Part 2)

Well, would you look at that! You got two chapters for the week!

finals are about to start next week, mostly I would just stress over them, but now I just want to get everything over with and start the summer vacation! The only bad thing is you might have to wait until the next chapters are released.

ENJOY

------

Bart felt Mono's grip loosening around his throat. He wheezed heavily, his lungs burning from the lack of air. His vision came back to him, but all he saw were those malicious pale eyes boring back into his.

"What's there left to solve?!" Mono said, he was weeping, Bart saw, weeping and laughing, both at the same time, he could see the boy in him now... "It's over... can't you understand...? It's over... it's hopeless."

"th-there's a way... one last-" Bart said, letting out short dry coughs, "One last time."

Mono tightened his grip again, "Why should I listen to anymore of your bollocks?!"

Bart made a pained gargle in his throat, "distrust me... All you want... Mono. But I would do... whatever it takes... to break the cycle!" Mono's eyes widened, "You... Should know that better than anyone!" Bart said, his voice strained.

Mono gritted his teeth, and seconds later he finally let go of Bart's neck. Bart moved his hand to rub his throat. He wheezed, struggling for breath, high pitched sounds escaped his throat with each inhalation. Then he moved his hand and wiped away the blood that ran down from his nose. Bart looked up and saw that Mono had his back turned to him, his shoulders drooped and his form was trembling. The plan is working, Bart thought. Though it could have easily went downhill in a blink of an eye.

Bart let out one last cough before saying, "I don't expect you to forgive me... But would at least hear me out?"

Mono said nothing.

"I found no joy in watching you suffer. Not one single second." Bart said as he stood back up. "But this was the only way to make you understand... Six is evil."

Mono twitched again, his fists clenching "Stop saying that name!"

Bart saw how much hatred is harbored deep within him, so quickly cut to the chase, "There is another cycle going on as we speak."

At those words Mono's head finally turned to face him, he looked at Bart incredulously, "What?"

Bart pointed towards a TV sitting at the far end corner of the room. Mono turned towards it, he glitched and disappeared then appeared again next to the TV. He bent down and knelt, drawing closer to the screen. "That's impossible... how can this be? How is there two of me...?" Mono then turned his gaze to Bart, "What have you done?"

"I had my ways..." And Bart said no more.

Mono turned back toward the screen, and saw a boy in a paper bag striding through the woods with one hand holding that of a girl's. Mono frowned, the lines in his forehead deepening as he realized who's hand the boy was holding.

"He burned the shack, just as you did." Bart said.

"Ohh..." Mono groaned while rubbing his eyes in annoyance.

"I think you know what happens next..."

Mono nodded slowly, "Hmm. Unfortunately. He will kill the Thin Man of his time and replace him." then his eyes darkened, "After she betrays him."

"I have a plan, Mono." said Bart. "One that could save us all. Or destroy us."

Mono shook his head and closed his eyes.

"The only who can save Mono, and stop him from repeating your mistakes, is you..." Bart said.

Mono got off his knees and stood upright, "Zero, that counts as interference..."

"I know." was all Bart said. He fully understood the risks of interfering with a cycle, if this fails, it's game over, no going back, no starting over. Everything will just cease to exist. All the time spent here will be for naught.

Mono took a deep breath, "And you're still going with that plan? I could still fail, you know."

Bart didn't really know what to say to that, his face took on many forms and finally said, "Well, oblivion seems better than spending another second in this wretched place."

Mono adjusted his black brimmed hat over his head, "What do I have to do?" he said calmly.

"Mono's current cycle has it's own Thin Man in the signal tower... You will replace him, and you will set things straight. Call for boy, he will be the one to free you from the tower." Bart said.

Mono huffed, "What about the memories I lose after I crawl into that screen, how do I do what is right if I can't remember my purpose, did you not think of that?"

"I did. I will interfere, just this once. You won't lose anything." Bart replied, and with that Mono laughed grimly. "Listen, just do this one thing, and we will be free."

Mono looked at him wearily.

"Kill Six." Bart said, and after that there was a long moment of dreadful silence, Mono didn't move a muscle and Bart just stood there waiting for something to happen, "She's the reason the cycles are always doomed to fail. Get rid of her. I don't care how, just do it..." Bart added.

Mono's lips twisted into a frown, and his eyes twitched, "Zero..." he said. And once again the same dreadful silence took over, "After it is done. I do not wish to see you. Ever again." Mono said in a strangely calm tone, there wasn't even any hatred in it. Only bitterness.

Bart said nothing, he only watched as Mono crawled through the screen and disappear. Bart pictured he might already be sitting in that chair again, but nothing further can be done at this point, all that is left is to watch it all happen. one last time.

--------

980 words, not one of the lengthy chapters I've ever written, but I think this might be the shortest chapter in the story.

Well how was it? tell me of any mistakes and I'll fix them later.

SO LONG FOLKS, *curtain closes*