Centuries old

AHHH! I promised you I'd finish it at the end of this week! And here it is! A total of 2.3k words.
And holy moly! I'm seeing new readers every day! Business is booming! I'm so glad I'm getting to share this with all of you.

Oh and the art above is for Itzel-gema-azul.

Enjoy!

-------

After they drank their full, Mono decided that it be best if they'd rest up for a while. After all that time, he'd been running in the streets under the rain, soaked and cold. A nice, warm place to sleep and a pillow... wouldn't that be swell for a change?

"Welp... I'm off. See you in the morning, Six." Mono said. Wait a minute. The sun never rises here in the first place, "Or, see you when I see you..." He said, waving his hand as he turned and went to find a comfortable spot. He hopped onto the cushions, and brought a pillow to the corner of the couch and laid it there. He sat and rested his head against it and let out a long sigh. Mono laid there looking up at the brick roof, then slipped one last glance around the bar before nodding off to sleep. 

But before he could close his eyes, Mono saw Six's head poking from beneath the couch. She climbed up and made tiny grunting sounds as she reached the top. She crawled towards him and laid beside him, knotting her fingers together and resting her hands on her stomach. Mono turned his head to look at her, his paper bag rustling as he did. "Is this heaven, Mono?" Six asked, staring at the ceiling.

Mono gave a quiet laugh, "Nah, I'm sure it's something better than this."

"You mean... there's something more beautiful?" Six said.

"Yes." 

"Like what?" Six said, sitting up and placing her arms behind her.

"Well, I dunno. This is all new to me too. But the old world is full of beautiful things. You know like, movie theatres, fancy hotels, buildings so tall that scrap the clouds, and-..." He said, pausing for a moment, "New years? I guess..." Six laid her head back on the pillow, looking at him with a wide smile drawn across her face. She looked as if she could listen to him talk all night. And so he went on, talking about everything he caught a glimpse of on TV, somehow forgetting about sleep. 

"I mean, I've looked at comic books before." Six said, shrugging, "But if this is a slice of the real old-world... and it's this beautiful... I wish we could stay here forever."

"Yeah, me too... I don't want to leave... I want to stay here with you." It took him a while to realize what he just blurted. Oh crap, is she looking at me? Mono turned to look. She is. And she had that smile, not one of mischief, but one that is kind, warm. Jeez, why did it get so hot in here? Mono turned to the other side and said, "Good night!" and made fake snoring sounds.

Six huffed, "Honestly... good night, Mono." she said, shifting into a more comfortable position. Before long, she closed her eyes and slipped into a dreamless sleep.

When she awoke later, her mouth felt dry and her back sore. Apparently, she had lost track of time and everything else. She sat up straight and looked around through the patch of black hair, struggling to get her eyes open. She rubbed the sleep off of them and blinked as everything around her slowly became clearer. Outside, the streets shone with the flickering lights of bent vintage lamps, stretching all the way from one city block to the other and sinking along the road, where she could see no more. The sky was still as black as ever, and thick clouds came and went, passing by the moon like wandering mountains. She got off the couch and planted her feet on the cool wooden floor, making for the half-empty bottle of soda where'd they left it, in the heap of plastic bags and leftover food. She would've preferred water over this bubbly liquid at a time like this. But oh well, it was better than nothing.