A coat from days past

3590 words, the longest chapter in this story by far! Thank you for your patience, the wait is over. I've noticed we've reached a total of 9k reads... I'm not exaggerating, but if i were a sculpture I would build statues for all of y'all! I can't express my gratitude for reading my story enough... Thank you.

Right off we go then!

Enjoy

Oh and the art above is for lulla drawings

--------

Moment ruined, Mono's disappointment was unfathomable. They stood there for a while, listening to the soft patter of the rain. Desperate to break the awkward silence, Mono spoke first, "So-"

"So-" they both said in unison, then stopped again. Mono let out a nervous laugh and looked around the dark room, unsure what to do next. "What now?" Six asked, her hands moving to her pockets, feeling for her lighter. 

"Uhh... I don't know. We're not going back out there in that weather, that's for sure..." He said. Six pulled the lighter out of her pocket and flipped the lid open, then flicked the wheel once, twice, and there was a warm yellow light. He saw her face, cheeks redder than her eyes, Mono found. "Want something from the machine?" He added, pointing with his finger back at the door.

Six shook her head, "I'm not hungry." she said, cooly. Well then, in that case, there wasn't much left to do here except for waiting for the storm to pass. 

"Right... come on then, let's find ways to kill time," Mono said, grabbing her hand, leading her out of the room. They stuck together closely. He moved across the other room with Six by his side, waving her lighter around. "Here," Mono said, stopping in front of the maintenance room once again, "We could probably get the power back on." He added as he shouldered the door open and stepped inside. There was this smell, though. He was pretty sure he didn't smell it the first time around. It smelled like something was burning. Plastic, Mono guessed. There was a slim chance of getting the power back on now.  Six stepped in after him and waved the lighter around the room, and it was as he thought. Thunder had fried the circuits and blew off the fuse. "Bummer..." He said.

"Can't you fix it?" Six said.

"Nah... It's pointless now. Oh well, this place was fun while it lasted." Mono said, huffing. "Let's get outta here. The smell is killing me." He led the way out, and Six followed closely behind. As soon as he tried to pull the door open, a sudden buzzing sound echoed around them. Mono turned back to look at the circuit board. Nope, still fried...  "You hear something?" Mono said to Six.

Her eyes narrowed as she listen closely, "No..." She said, shaking her head. "What is it?" 

Mono made a small voice in his throat as he pulled the door all the way open, and on the other side came a strange grey light from around the corner. "But the power's out..." Mono muttered. At first, he was hesitant to set another step forward. But it was just like before, back when they first made it ashore. It was calling for him, and he found himself unable to resist it. All he heard was this buzzing in his ears, but it felt strangely like a song. It's something you'd sing to a crying baby to lull it to sleep.

"Mono, wait." Six said, suddenly reaching for his hand.

He snapped back to reality, "I think we should see what it is. It's alright." 

Reluctantly, Six tightened her grip on his fingers and nodded. "I'll lead then." She said, not giving Mono a chance to say any more. She flipped the lid of her lighter shut and tiptoed to the edge of the corner. Now she could hear the buzzing too. They snuck a peek around the corner and found a TV with a flashing white screen just standing there, "Come now..." Six's voice quivered, "This wasn't there a few seconds ago..." She said. Mono let go of her hand and walked towards the TV, "Wait, wait!" Six shouted in a whisper, "What do you think you're doing?!"