Chapter Nine

I started to enjoy Hilda's company quite a lot. We would sit in front of her fire pit and embroidery or sew while the children played. She had experienced much more than me, having been a sister of three others, she had a very feminine upbringing and helped me with home skills. She gave me cooking tips that would help greatly and taught me stitches I've never been able to replicate. I enjoyed my time with her. It was nice having a woman to talk to, it was much better. Men could be so disgusting and annoying. They drained lots of your energy.

We talked about men and giggled. I never had someone to talk about boys with, it was enjoyable. We talked about her husband and his annoying snoring. I shared Hvitserk's strange sleep talking.

We'd talk for so long that we wouldn't notice the passing time. The kids were getting along too. Yrsa and Groa were enjoying their playdates, even when they had a small fight, it got resolved quickly.

Soon it was almost supper time and I had to leave to make it home before Hvitserk. I picked up Thora and left with Groa skipping beside me.

"Halfrid, can I hold your basket?" Groa asked curiously, tilting her head to the side.

"Sure," it freed up my hands, so I handed it to her to hold onto. Thora was getting heavier, it made my arms ache after a little while of carrying her. She was so chubby, it was adorable, her chubby cheeks were so kissable. I was torn between wanting her old enough to walk by herself and not wanting her to ever grow up.

When we arrived home, I came to to a complete stop, even Groa hesitated to enter. In the cooking area was a woman in a tattered dress, it was dirty and had holes around the skirt hem. She had short hair and a metal collar, indicating she was a slave. She paused from making what seemed to be stew.

"Who are you?" I asked, it came out more of a demand than a question. "Where is Hvitserk?" I glanced around, trying to find him, I saw boots sitting out by the fire pit, he was home.

"I am Dagmar, Ma'am." The woman answered with a shrill voice, she looked nervous, wringing her apron with anxiety. Her hands her covered in ugly scars, she looked to had a deep scar on her bottom lip, showing rough treatment. She was older than me, she may have been twenty-five, which was impressive from how trauma riddled her body. It was amazing she made it this far.

"And... what are you doing here?"

"King Bjorn gifted me to Prince Hvitserk for his loyalty." She explained.

I hummed as a response. "Go sweep, Groa."

Groa whined and kicked her feet as she went to get the broom. I walked into my small room to see Hvitserk fast asleep in bed. I lifted my foot and kicked him. It took a few tries but he woke up.

"What the fuck?" He growled awake, swatting my foot away.

I leaned over the bed, I let Thora get out my arms and crawl into the bed. "What the fuck? You have explaining to do. We have no room for a thrall." I hissed at him, barring my teeth with fury.

He rubbed the sleep from his eyes. "Don't worry, I'm building a byre for her."

"When?"

"I don't know," he yawned.

"Get your arse up! I thought you said we can't afford another mouth to feed?"

"Halfrid, I was gifted her, what I to do? Turn Bjorn away? Besides, she just gets what she can scrap up." He shrugged.

"I'm not having Groa see this thrall be treated poorly, that may have a horrible affect on her well-being. I suggest you get up and start building."

"I need supplies!"

"Then I suggest you get going." I straighten my back and stomped out of the room.

Hvitserk listened and left the hut to buy some supplies. He only looked over at me with an annoyed look, like he had any right to be.

I wouldn't let him come back into the house until the sun was fully under the ground. We ate supper in candle light, like we typically do. Groa was more quiet than normal, glancing over to look at the thrall spinning thread by the fire before occasionally stopping to poke the fire back to life.

"She will eat after us, don't worry." I reassured my small girl.

"Where will she sleep? In my bed?" Groa asked curiously.

"No, she will sleep out here until Hvitserk can complete the byre." I shot Hvitserk a side look, to remember I was still displeased with him.

"I'll be working hard, Beautiful." Hvitserk grinned.

I rolled my eyes at him as I feed Thora some mashed carrots. "Tomorrow I'll help."

"Can you hammer a nail?"

"If I can kill a Saxon, I think I can handle it." I replied, narrowing my eyes at his instigation.

The next day, I helped him build a lean-to onto the house. Ubbe was kind enough to offer a hand. Groa watched over Thora while I was outside working. My arms grew tired from hammering and sweat was collecting steady on my brow. I couldn't wait for this to be finished. Hvitserk and Ubbe plastered mud and straw in between the planks for insulation, there would also be plenty of straw inside.

We weren't even close to finishing by the time the sun was down. We came inside for dinner and I occasionally throughout the day had to feed Thora or change her nappy.

I ate like a ravenous animal. I was starving and my bones ached. It's been awhile since I've trained, I could tell I was losing my strength.

But, the next day we were back out there, and then two days turned into a week until we were finished. Dagmar had a fur bed roll (on a stack of hay), a wool blanket, and a chamber pot. When winter comes, she'd be given another blanket to keep warm.

It wasn't large, just enough to fit her and another person if we did get another thrall. Hvitserk was planning ahead, thinking of getting another to help even more. I didn't want Groa to be around thralls and feel like a prisoner again. I didn't need her to be reminded of bad memories, so I tried to treat Dagmar with as much compassion I could with our given circumstance.

I tucked Thora in one night, she was soon fast asleep and I moved to also tuck in Groa but she was already asleep. I smiled softly before kissing her head and adjusting her blanket, making sure she would stay warm. I carried the candle into the next room, where Hvitserk was also asleep. I sat the candle holder down on the side table before crawling under the covers.

"Halfrid?" I heard Hvitserk groan, half-awake.

"Yes, Hvitserk?" I replied as I laid down beside him.

"I want to go back to England." He admitted. "I think there is a destiny for us there."

I didn't know what to say. My family was still in Norway and I didn't see any other place my home. I wanted to protest but I heard him snoring softly again. What was he thinking? No, he was just sleep talking, he doesn't actually want to go back there. Norway is our home. Not England.

I know it's short, but I'm trying to get a feel of the story again. After writing A LOT of fanfics, I like to think my style has matured and gotten better. I'm not used to writing in first person anymore. I might moved to third person if y'all don't mind. I cringe rereading the original of this story. I was in high school and rereading parts I can see my internalized misogyny and I cringe. I also know a lot about Norse paganism. I know more about Vikings than I know about Christianity- though that isn't hard.

Also I got the idea for Halfrid when in AP psychology class, I learned there's a neurological thingy where the Amygdala hardens and the person cannot feel fear. It's rare but I found it so interesting that I made it a defining trait in Halfrid.