Chapter Ten

Third person from now on

Halfrid couldn't get what Hvitserk said out of her head. She thought about it constantly. The more she thought about it though, the more she wanted to go. But she knew her parents would refuse to go with her. She couldn't leave without them. They'd stay to be governed by King Bjorn.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad going back to England to regain land. They could finish taking Northumbria and go on to Strathclyde. Halfrid got a thrill at the thought of going to Ireland, she heard it was beautiful. She'd love to go.

There was a tiny voice in the back of her head, telling her she wanted to make a name for herself, she doesn't want to be queen, but she would like to be a commander of an army.

She decided to speak to her mother. Halfrid took Thora to her mother's home while Groa finished her chores with the thrall. Her mother was sitting by the fire mending one of her wool dresses. She perked up when she saw her daughter and grandchild.

She got up with a grin. "There's my little one!" She ran up to Thora and took her out of Halfrid's arms, not that she seemed bothered to be in her grandmother's arms. "What brings you two here?" She sat back on her bench abd Halfrid joined her.

"Well, I need advice." Halfrid admitted.

"Go on then, I'll try and bestow my wisdom." She replied smugly.

"Hvitserk wants to claim land in England. I think he has plans to finish taking Northumbria and then Strathclyde. I know Ivar had been discussing it at length with his brothers." Ingrid looked at her daughter as if she had sprouted two heads.

"Go back? But why? Norway is your home!" She soothed Thora as she made the small girl flinch with fright at her raise of voice.

"He probably wants to bring honor to himself. He is only known as the sidekick, he wants to be more. I-I have strings tied to Norway and to Kattegat, but I think I want my own glory as well. I feel torn, mother." Halfrid buried her face into her hands out of frustration.

"I can't help but be a thorn in your side unfortunately. I had just gotten my daughter back and now you tell me you want to leave." Ingrid croaked.

"I know, mother. I know this is hard. I love you and father so much, but... I am not whole here."

She loved living with Hvitserk with their small family, and seeing her parents at the great hall, but she had to be honest with herself, she wasn't happy stuck inside. She wanted to raise Thora and Groa, but her sword has been calling her and she has been ignoring it. She missed the weight of her armor and the feeling of strength in your veins as you run towards the enemy.

"If you leave, we may never see you again." Her mother said, the words Halfrid have been dreading.

She felt tears fill in her dark eyes. "I-I know," she bit her bottom lip, a feeble attempt to keep it from trembling.

Her mother shook her head. "No, no, you are staying here. I'll chain you down if I have to, but you are not leaving!"

When Halfrid returned home, she fed Thora before putting her down for a nap. She helped clean up the hut with the thrall. Groa must have finished her chores because she wasn't in sight.

Halfrid couldn't stop replaying the conversation over in her head. Her heart had conflicting wishes and no matter what she chose, it'd leave her hurt. She'd always be longing for something.

Ubbe and Hvitserk sat in the shade, downing water in the rare heated sun, they were coated in a layer of sweat.

"Have you talked to Halfrid?" Ubbe questioned, breaking the silence between them.