Chapter Twelve

Halfrid went straight to her mother's home the next day. She knocked on the door and waited patiently. The place was eerily quiet. There weren't nearly as many people walking the street like they normally do. How strange. Maybe it's a holiday she forgot about. Wouldn't be uncommon for Halfrid to forget events. Her mother used to scowl her often for being forgetful. She said it'd upset the gods. But Odin made Halfrid's brain, so technically it is his fault. But she'd never say that out loud.

She knocked again, maybe her mother was distracted. Where were the thralls? Wouldn't they hear the door. Halfrid pressed her ear to the door, she didn't hear anything at all.

Finally, the door opened a crack. It was Ingrid who answered. She looked flustered. Her hair was a disarray she coming out of her head scarf.

"Good morning, Mother!" Halfrid greeted with a grin. "I have great news!"

"Can it wait?" Her mother snapped. Suddenly, she could hear wet coughs from inside the house. It sounded phlegmy. "Your father is very sick and the thrall is too."

"Oh, no!" Halfrid took a step back. "Uh... do you know if it's a cold?"

"He's got a fever, they both do. Stay away from our home. If you can he a dear, can you go to the butcher's and get us some reindeer? I'll pay you back."

"No worries, I'll go get you some. Tell father I hope he feels better soon."

"The healer will be by today. She should get to the bottom of this." The door closed and Halfrid walked away.

She wished she could have told her mother the great news. Perhaps she can when she returned.

She went to the butcher's as requested she bought a pound of reindeer meat, she hoped it'd be enough. She returned and her mother quickly took the basket, shutting the door in Halfrid's face.

She went back to her home, feeling defeated. She changed Thora's nappy while Groa helped the thrall with her chores. It was good for her to do chores, she would soon be eight and would be taking on responsibilities. She would soon be a woman, it was good to practice. The earlier she got the hang of sewing and cleaning, the better. She would learn how to cook when she first bled, she was too young to be given such a huge responsibility such as cooking.

Hvitserk came back by midday. He went up to Halfrid and kisses her chastely. Groa pretended to gag in disgust.

"Did you tell your parents?" Hvitserk asked, ignoring the child.

Halfrid shook her head and frowned. "Mother wouldn't give me the chance. The thrall and father are really sick. She had more important things on her plate and she was quick to tend back to her husband." She sighed heavily. "We'll tell her soon, I promise." She wrapped her arms around his midsection. "Then we will be married."

"Married?" Groa gasped.

Shit, they forgot to tell her.

"Er, yes. Hvitserk and I are getting married." Halfrid told her.

"When?" She beamed.

"Oh, we don't know yet." Hvitserk replied, rubbing the back of his neck. "Soon,"

Groa was no longer in a sour mood and started talking nonstop about weddings and how she was so excited to go to one. She ranted on about being married and having a handsome husband and lots of kids. She hoped to have a girl to name Eira.

The later the night grew, the more tired everyone felt. Groa started coughing and clearing her throat.

"Are you alright?" Halfrid asked worriedly.