Chapter Four

Hvitserk's POV

I have found myself falling deeper in love with Halfrid everyday. But with it, deep down under my confidence, I am reminded who she was with before.

I can imagine what he will do if he finds out that I've been kissing his ex-wife that he still claims as his.

One night as we sleep, I felt like the room went colder. I glanced over to see in the doorway, Ivar, looking at me like I was his prey. As I blink my eyes, he disappears. I lay back down and let out a shaky breathe and look over at Halfrid who hasn't stirred.

I roll over and kiss her cheek and wrap my arm around her. I was being paranoid and stupid. Even if he did find out, I hope we meet in person so I can kill him.

It was hard to fall back to sleep, but when I did, Halfrid had porridge and buttered toast ready the next morning for me to wake up to. She was the best. I kissed her cheek before sitting down. I glance over at Thora on the floor in her basket, eating toast.

"You know how to please a man." I grinned as I ate.

"If this is all it takes, I could have done it sooner." She teased.

She had fruit in it and honey. I wanted to marry her right there.

She sat down across from me. "Did you sleep okay, you kept muttering."

"Yeah, like a baby." I lied. "I hope I didn't wake you."

"No, I slept great." She had a big smile on her face. "I don't want to ask too much, but could you watch Thora for a bit while I go shopping. I know my hands are going to be full."

"Sure." I shrugged. "I'd love to." She smiled big and started to blush.

I helped her clean up and I put the dishes in a pail of water. She changed Thora's diaper so I didn't have to. I couldn't wait when we could potty train her. I felt bad that Halfrid had to wash them so often. But she didn't seem fazed anymore. She was so used to it, it was second nature.

Halfrid's POV

I kissed Hvitserk and Thora goodbye and headed out for the market. I bought all the supplies I needed, but I noticed there was a slave auction going on and a young woman was sold, for close to nothing. A gross man took her with his wife with her hands tied.

I was drawn to the next one up. A small girl with flaming red hair. She looked malnourished and others noticed, not wanting to choose her. She wore scraps for clothing, nothing to protect her from the cool winds this morning. She looked almost blue.

I rush up to the stage. "I'll take her!" I shouted. "I'll take her!" It was the mother in me.

I didn't have enough money, but I had a silver bracelet Ivar gave me to apologize for killing Margrethe.

The little girl weakly came down the stairs with her hands tied. I quickly cut her free and put my cloak over her shoulders.

"Come on, let's get you inside." I led her back to my home, she seemed uncertain to trust me, but she had no other choice.

"Do you have a name?" I asked her.

"G-Groa." She stuttered.

"Where are you from?"

"I don't know." She replied.

"Your safe now." I tell her.

I open my door and Hvitserk approaches and his smile slowly fades. "Halfrid, what did you do?" He asked in a low tone.

Groa started to panic and started to take sharp breaths at the sight of Hvitserk. She looked at me with fear.

"You're okay. We aren't going to hurt you." I reassured her.

She looked at Hvitserk, uncertain about him.

He put his hands up. "I'm not going to hurt you." He said softly.

I usher her to sit at the table. I make her a bowl of porridge and she eats it eagerly as if she hasn't eaten in so long.

"When is the last time you've eaten?" I asked her.

"Yesterday I was given ale and bread." She said in a small voice.

Hvitserk pulls me to the side. "Who is she?"

"They were auctioning her off, Hvitserk. I had save her." I exclaimed.

"Halfrid, where did you get the money to pay for a slave?"

"I didn't. I gave my bracelet in exchange for her." I replied honestly.

"Why did you do this, she's an extra mouth to feed." He panicked.

"I saw a poor girl in need. I couldn't let a child suffer. Could you?" I asked him.

He sighed irritably. "Fine. Fine." He walked over to the girl who shuffled away from him. "What's your name?"

"Groa." She replied.

"Well... Groa, you are free. You are no longer a slave, thanks to Halfrid." He looked over at me.

Groa looked at me too. "What does that mean?"

I knelt in front of her. "It means you can't be sold or taken away or tied up. You are free to be a child."

"Are you my new mommy?" She asked curiously, slightly perking up.

"What happened to your mommy?"

"A mean man said she's dead." She sighed sadly.

"Then I'll be your new mommy." I replied.

She beamed and hugged me close. I looked over at Hvitserk who seemed slightly mad still.

But he helped me make Groa a bed beside Thora. She was so happy to have a bed, she used to just sleep on the floor with no comfort.

I took her measurements and started making her a nicer dress that she could grow into. She still seemed confused of her new life and skittish around Hvitserk.

Groa helped me around the house, helping me make dinner and do laundry. She was quiet most of the time but sometimes asked questions.

During our midday meal. Groa perked up. "Halfrid," she started. "Is Hvitserk my daddy?"

"Uh- uh no." I said as Hvitserk and I both start panic. "He just helps me."

"By kissing you?" She gave me a confused look.

Hvitserk smirked evilly. I had to think on my feet. "Uh... not really."

"Is he Thora's daddy?" She questioned.

"No."

"Did you adopt her too?"

"No, I had her with someone else."

"What happened to him?"

"That's enough questions for tonight." Hvitserk injected.

We wrapped up and she helped us clean up. But that's when everything changed.

"Halfrid," Groa started again. "His legs didn't work." She said casually.

Hvitserk and I stopped and stared at her. "What did you say?" I asked her.

"Thora's daddy's legs didn't work. He wasn't a very good daddy, he's scary. He hurt people."

"How do you know that?" I asked her.

"Thora showed me." She shrugged.

"How?" Hvitserk asked.

She shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know, she just did." She sighed. "People show me lots of things. That mean man killed my mommy, he showed me."

"Like Thora?" I asked.

"Yeah."

I looked over at Hvitserk. He was lost of words too. Groa was a seeress.