Chapter Thirteen

People were still getting sick but with staying distanced and staying inside or wearing a face covering when going out, it helped a lot.

Halfrid drank strong ale as she stared into the fire as the twilight sky speckled with stars. She felt so unbelievably numb. She couldn't believe her parents were dead. How could it be? Her eyes were red and puffy from sobbing.

Hvitserk joined her on the bench and wrapped his arm around her, slowly drawing her closer against him. He kissed her head and rubbed her back. He tried to comfort her as tears started to sting his eyes.

"Are they put to bed?" She croaked.

"Groa is fast asleep and Thora just shut her eyes." He replied, trying to keep his voice level.

"Everything sucks." She sniffled.

"I know, Love, I know." He sighed. "It hurts, but you soon get used to it. You will always miss them, but it gets easier to bear the burden."

"I want them here." Her eyes stung with tears. "It's not fair."

"It isn't. It never is."

"Why did Odin create a world so cruel?"

"What is life without pain? It makes us stronger." He grabbed the horn from her grasp. "Come, let's go to bed."

She nodded her head and followed close behind him. She cuddled close to him in the night. She was so lucky to have Hvitserk. He was the perfect lover.

It was a solid month until the sickness started dying away, but the damage was already done. Halfrid attended the Thing and received her inheritance along side her brother. She was given her mother's clothing and jewelry, along with some silver and gold. She inherited a horse and a few hens. They now occupied the byre and would be another mouth to feed.

Halfrid knew the horse, her father named it Axel. He was a handsome stead and loved her father greatly. His big dark eyes flickered at Halfrid, as if to ask why he was in her small byre instead of his own.

She got the manicure tools and picked up his hoof and placed it between her thighs as she quickly scraped, clipped and cleaned his hooves. He needed new horseshoes, she'd get Hvitserk onto that.

She had been in the pit of despair and had a hard time keeping it together in front of the children. Groa understood death to some degree and cried when she learned about Halfrid's parents passing. She understood they were with the gods and no longer on this earth. 

"I know you hate this, but you're doing well." Halfrid told Axel as she made it onto the last hoof. He sighed heavily as a reply.

The hens were brooding and laid on their unfertilized eggs. Collecting them was a challenge, Halfrid's hands were scabbed over from the pecks and bites she's received. The responsibility helped distract her somewhat.

Hvitserk put all his energy into building onto the hut. Their new bedroom was almost complete and he had carpenters to help him in the project.

Groa was doing more chores since they lacked a thrall. And Thora had been swaddled down so she couldn't do anything. She doesn't like it, but most babies her age remained swaddled until they are nearly three years old.

Halfrid hadn't seen Hilda, the poor mother would be too busy grieving this loss. The poor woman had lost so much already. Halfrid would lose all will to live if she lost any of her children. She doesn't know how her mother went on to live. She supposed, death is just a reality for most parents. Children drop like flies, not much they can do but pray they don't lose a child. But the reality was that she very well might.