Chapter Eleven

There was no sign of Halfrid having to attend the Thing. She found that odd but she assumed they were too scared to test her, they were only farmers and she was a decorated warrior.

Halfrid sat by the fire one late night after putting the kids to bed. She couldn't stop thinking about how Hvitserk called her his wife. It made her stomach warm at the thought. It wasn't good that they've been together for months unmarried. It's best they married, it's what's right.

Hvitserk finally opened the door, she got to her feet to greet him. "Enjoyed the feast?" She inquired, taking his cloak.

"Yes," He replied with a grin. "I didn't drink too much, I managed to fake it."

"Hvitserk, I-I have to ask you something." She hated being nervous, it wasn't like her.

He hummed in a response as she hung his cloak up on a hook. "We should do more expanding to the hut." She blurted out.

He let out a small chuckle. "Alright, the supplies won't be cheap, but we can. What do you have in mind?"

"A room or two. Maybe so we can have our own space without twig walls." She gestured to the makeshift divider behind herself.

"I agree." He wrapped his arm around her waist and leaned down to give her a kiss, his breath was strong with ale.

"Um... There's something else." She admitted.

"Oh?" He relished in how nervous she was and she hated how he smirked at her.

"Weshouldgetmarried!" She fumbled out.

"What?"

"Uh... We should get married." She felt so silly as she wrung her hands together.

"Really?"

"Ye-" he smashed his lips against hers heartily. He started to deepen the kiss, cupping her cheek as he devoured her lips. He trailed lingering kisses down her jaw and to her racing pulse. She felt her thighs slicken with her arousal.

A pulse gathered between her thighs. He backed her up into their bedroom and had her fall back onto the bed. He didn't even bother with their clothes as he climbed between her thighs.

He placed his lips to the shell of her ear. "I want you to try and stay quiet as I fuck you into the mattress."

She blushed hard and nodded her head.

--

The next morning Halfrid felt like she had a slight limp as she walked over to the counter to get jam for the bread. Hvitserk was smiling at his breakfast with a knowing look in his eye.

Halfrid kept her head up high and pretended she had no idea what he was smiling about. She slowly sat down beside him and he smirked proudly at her.

"Why are you looking at her like that?" Groa questioned blatantly. "Did you two have sex?"

The air was sucked out of the room at her words and Hvitserk's and Halfrid's smile disappeared.

She schooled her features. "I thought we agreed you would no longer say that word again. It's inappropriate!"

Groa got small. "I forgot..."

"You forgot?" Halfrid repeated. "If I catch you say that word again I'll bend you over my knee."

"What else was that noise last night!" Groa blurted out.

"No breakfast for you!" Halfrid grabbed her plate. "For that, you'll be emptying out the chamber pots and helping with the dishes."