Chapter Five

I think Groa came into my life for a reason. I think the gods wanted me to adopt her.

My family got to know her a little bit and they were pissed that I added on another to mouths to feed, but they grew to love her. My father thinks she's a peach.

She was a good child. She grew to ask more questions and occasionally she'll bring up strange dreams she's been having or that she will tell us random things that has happened to us.

Eventually I had to ask. As Hvitserk teaches her how to play chess, I needed to know something. I sat beside her.

"Groa, can I ask you something?" I questioned softly.

"Okay." She replied, flashing me her bright blue eyes.

"When did you start seeing things?"

She thought for a moment and shrugged. "I don't know. Mommy told me I was chosen from the gods. But I don't know what that means."

"It means you're going to do great things." I tell her.

"I want to be king one day." She grinned.

Hvitserk and I chuckle. "You can be queen." I corrected.

"But I want to be in charge." She replied.

"Be a queen without a king." Hvitserk suggested.

Her eyes lit up. "I can do that!"

"Of course!" He exclaimed.

"Halfrid was queen. Can I be like her?"

"You can be better than me." I smiled at her. I kiss her head and go over to the counter to do the dishes. I felt small hands wrap around my waist. I look down to see my little ginger. "Can I help you?"

"Can you teach me how to fight!" She begged. "Please!"

"Why would you need to learn to fight?"

"So I can protect you."

"From what?"

"I don't know- anything!"

I looked back at Hvitserk who was grinning at us. "You want to be a fighter and queen?"

She looked back at him. "Just like Halfrid!" She giggled.

"When you grow up." I tell her.

She began to pout and stomp over to Hvitserk. "Boys learn at my age."

"I don't have time, Groa." I sighed. "If I had more time, I would love to teach you."

"I'll help you a lot if you can at least teach me a little."

She was persistent, I wonder where I've seen that before. "Let me think about it."

"Can I go outside and play?" She asked, completely unrelated.

"Okay but stay close."

She nodded her head and ran out the door to play with this little girl who lived nearby.

I felt new hands on me, Hvitserk's. He wrapped his arms around my waist. "She reminds me of you." He admitted.

"I know. But I never wanted to be queen and I am not a seeress." I responded.

"I'll admit that I'm glad she's here."

"Me too." I turned my head for Hvitserk to kiss me.

We haven't had sex yet. But we wouldn't find time to do it. Groa sometimes gets nightmares and comes into our room, or I'm up making her dress I haven't finished yet or he's busy with Bjorn.