Chapter Six

Halfrid's POV

I could hear Hvitserk making Groa laugh as they played chess. Thora sat on his lap as he played the game. She took one of the pieces that he took away from Groa and started putting her little teeth into it.

"Thora, that's not for you." I heard Groa complain.

"No." Thora pouted, it was one of the few words she often repeated, along with 'hi' and 'bye'.

I went outside to hang the clothes on the line. I finally finished Groa's dress and she loved it. I worked on another one so she had one to change into while I cleaned the other one.

When I walked back into the room, Thora was running towards me. She wrapped her tiny arms around my legs. "Hi!"

"Hi!" I laughed.

"She's fast on her feet." Hvitserk stated.

"Her first birthday is soon. Such a huge milestone." I smiled and I lifted her up.

"Crazy that a year ago Ivar sacrificed an innocent woman." He sighed.

I frowned. It has been awhile since I thought about that night. I liked to pretend he killed on a different night.

I had no idea what to tell of her father in the future.. what do I tell her? The truth or an embellished story to make him look loving? Will she ever know of her father as Ivar the Boneless? I am not so sure. Should we just pretend Hvitserk is her true father?

"Mama! Mama!" Thora shouted running away to her basket where her toys were.

"What are you going to make for her birthday?" Groa asked curiously.

"That's a secret." I tell her. I was going to make pudding. I knew they'd be excited for that. Hvitserk's eyes grew with excitement just at the mention of food.

The days leading up to her birthday was exciting for me. My first child making it to a year is surprising on it's own and deserves celebration.

While Hvitserk was busy and Groa was out playing, I was able to at least gather ingredients for the big dinner. My mother gave me recipes for the night. I was happy that they'd be joining us.

I wrapped Thora against my chest so I could have free hands as I went to the market. I saw some exotic fruits and scanned them curiously. I felt eyes on me in the distance. I glanced over to see a cloaked man drinking mead beside the tavern doors. He wasn't trying to hide the fact that his eyes were on me.

I felt arms wrap around my waist and a kiss planted on my cheek. I smiled and looked behind me to see Hvitserk. He had a cheeky smile on his face.

"You should be with your brothers." I stated.

"I know, but I wanted to say hi." He looked down at Thora and planted a kiss on her forehead. He looked down at my basket and I quickly put it behind me.

"No peeking!" I ordered playfully.

He narrowed his eyes. "I'm so glad that I only have to wait one more day."

"You should be more focused on the fact that Thora survived her first year." I stated.

"I am!" He protested. "I'm focused on her and the food."

I rolled my eyes. "You need to get going, I don't want the king upset."

"It's worth it, being with the prettiest woman in all of Norway."

I couldn't help but blush. "Get going."

He pecked me on the lips one last time before leaving. I turned back around to see the man gone. I tried to push the gut feeling away.