Chapter Three:

An older woman died down the street from my parents, she had no living relatives, leaving the house abandoned. I quickly bought the property and my brother and father helped me make it a livable home for a single mother.

I had my own kitchen area, my own firepit, my eating area and my brother made these dividers made of sticks and twigs to divide a room for just me and one for when Thora grows older. We could still have our privacy in this small hut, just like my mother did in her home.

I started to make my bed comfy with some pelts laying around the small home. I used a wicker basket for Thora's bed, it was filled with fluffy furs that I collected from when Ivar was king.

I still had some money that could provide for us for some time. I also had luxury items I took with me, like my nice dresses, Thora's blankets, furs, and clothing. I had some fabrics I could sew into useful things.

I wished I pillaged more to earn enough to live forever without work, but soon I will either have to remarry or work and I didn't want to remarry, but I also didn't want to leave Thora. I wanted to be active in her life, but I may not have a choice.

While she napped I swept the dirt and dust away that the old woman no longer did. But she still had food freshly made, that I took for myself.

I gave Thora a piece of rye bread to keep her busy as I cooked the only thing I knew- stew. I put cut carrots, salted beef, potatoes and some spices in. I hoped I'd be able to learn more and be able to properly take care of my daughter. I'd only give her the stew with the carrots and carrots squished with no meat. I don't need her choking.

I occasionally looked over at her in her basket, perked up and sucking on the piece bread.

When Thora was done she decided she wanted my attention. She started to reach for me and pout.

"Mama!" She whined.

I wipe my hands and pick her up. She sat on my hip while I stirred the stew. She nuzzled her head into my neck and just laid peacefully. I'd be lying if I said it didn't warm my heart and make me want to just hold her forever.

"This will be our first night alone. It's too quiet, huh?" I asked her as if we could have a conversation. "We're going to go to the feast tonight for a bit and then we'll come back home to sleep peacefully."

We had our midday meal and while Thora took her nap, I preserved the rest of our stew for the next day. I made some bread that would be good the next day too.

I felt confident that I'd get the hang my new life. Maybe this is one of the paths, living without interrupts, but that isn't very realistic.

I thought of Ivar occasionally throughout the day. I still loved him, somewhere in my heart and I knew I'd fall apart if I ever saw him again. I thought about what he could be up to, or what he will think when his men don't find me at the cabin. Will he know exactly what happened? Or did he never send them? He just left his ex-wife with his child, the child he claimed to love.

But then I grew angry at him for the pain and destruction he caused me and everyone of Kattegat. Everything is his fault. He is the one who altered my fate.

There was a soft knock on my door, that made me jump back into reality. Hvitserk peeked his head into the hut and flashed me a smile.

"Ready to go to the feast?" He asked curiously, he entered the room and looked around.

"What?" I asked.

"Your home is better than mine." He replied. I rolled my eyes at him. "It is. Its not fair, I'm a prince." He pouted playfully.