˗ˋ 36

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

-: fourth year :-

── IN WHICH PAPERS ARE
 PRESENTED

. . .

She was sat as if she were posing for a picture; the pretty cream skirts placed perfectly over her legs, ankles crossed, hands clasped whilst sitting in her lap. Even her hair seemed almost perfectly placed over her shoulder except for a few unruly curls. 

Harry was sat a short distance away, the little girl named Ellie on his lap as she played with her home-made peg doll, every so often meeting Jane's eyes as she glanced over to him, apology clear within her gaze as she looked back to Mr Winter, who had taken up her attention for hours since they had got there.

It was safe to say that the house-warming-garden party had been a success. The guests, who Harry and Jane had met a lot of, were enjoying it quite a bit, eating their fair share of the food Angela prepared and raising their glasses to Flora and Jane, as the Adley woman shared a speech celebrating her return to her family home, alongside her new family member.

And then, as yet another spectacular July sunset painted the skies shades of pink, orange and blue, Harry and Jane found themselves seperated. First it had been Eva and Annie, who had been so desperate to hear all about Harry and what had happened since Jane had left - the Potter boy had been approached by one of the wizards that Florence had mentioned was coming and was rather deep in conversation with him about the subjects he had chosen for his O.W.Ls but he could see them glancing at him with a certain type of smile on their faces all the way through it. 

Then, many of the children had gathered around to hear all about her life as someone who had been fostered and then Mr Winter, who seemed to be a combination of all three.

"Ah, well we'd better be going." Mr Winter finally announced, as one too many of the children had yawned and Maisie and Luca, the twin toddlers were far too close to falling asleep on Jane's lap, their heads leaning against her shoulder. "It seems so soon, I know Janey." 

"Thank you all so much for coming." It was almost odd, the way that the she could feel tears thickening in her throat at the prospect of saying goodbye again. Her first, when she had left the home, was tearful enough, and she vowed to keep them down. "I should walk everyone out - how did you get here?"

"Hired a bus of course! It's perfect for the little ones. You wouldn't mind carrying one of them there, would you?" Mr Winter stood up, watching as Jane nodded and he leaned down to scoop Maisie up into his arms. 

Harry watched as the group began to walk out, Jane leaning back and jerking her head with a smile, asking him to follow her. He nodded, getting to his feet and beginning to do just that, only for Flora to stop him half way.

"You have a very smart owl, Harry." She smiled, and as she spoke a shadow crossed across the night sky, a familar hoot joining it. "Hedwig, I believe her name is?"

"Yes.. has she come here to deliver some letters?" Harry sounded just a surprised as Flora felt, watching as she produced several envelopes from her pocket. He felt a jump in his heart as he realised what they would be. Sirius's handwriting covered the front of one, Hermione and Ron's on the other two. 

He wondered for a moment if Flora knew the truth about Sirius. One of the very first things that she had said to her was about her friendship with Dumbledore, and the headmaster of Hogwarts had been the one to help ochestrate Harry and Hermione's trip in time to rescue Sirius.

But he had to be careful. "If it's okay, would you mind keeping them for now?" Harry asked, almost cautious. He knew that Flora wouldn't read them, but never in his life had he thought of letting someone hold onto something that was his. Especially not when he wasn't at Hogwarts - he had the Dursleys to thank for that habit.

"Of course, you should go after Jane. I'm afraid that after such a long time of living in the home, it might be a rather upsetting goodbye." Flora smiled, tapping him gently on the chin and directing him towards the gateway, tucking the letters back in her pocket. "They'll be in the kitchen, if you can't find them, come find me." 

"Thank you." Harry nodded, rushing after the group, sliding through the side gate and closing it behind him, pushing onto the driveway then coming to a halt, right beside Flora's car.

In the last dregs of golden sunlight, two silhouettes were illuminated against a darker background, orange surrounding them. Considering the dress and the height difference, it appeared to be Mr Winter and Jane, although he couldn't hear their conversation.

"I'll admit Jane, my visit here isn't entirely innocent." Mr Winter had come to a stop midway down the driveway, putting Maisie down and gesturing for Jane to do the same, Annie returning back to them in order to usher the children down towards the bus. 

"No?" Jane asked, turning towards him and trying her best not to squint in the sudden, blinding light. 

"No.. Flora had contacted me with ulterior purposes." Mr Winter admitted. Now, hearing that there were other reasons to his visit hadn't shocked the Everleigh girl, but hearing that Florence had been the reason behind that did. "Just think it over Janey, no worries at all." 

Jane's eyes widened, watching as Mr Winter held out an envelope to her. "It was good to see you, I hope you have fun for the rest of the summer." He smiled once again before continuing down the driveway.

Harry watched as Jane's silhouette watched him leave, before her head tilted down towards the letter in her hands, ripping it open without hesitation, scanning the contents. 

And then, in hurried movements she stuffed it back in the envelope and clutched in her hands  so tightly it creased the paper, stalking back up the driveway, the gravel crunching underfoot. 

She jumped when she saw Harry, coming to a stop in front of him. "Jane? What's wrong?" He asked, eyes seartching her face for any telltale signs.

"Nothing." She swallowed. "I'm fine. Meet me here in five minutes?" 

He didn't even have time to question it as she rushed into the house, envelope screwed up in her palm.