˗ˋ 94

CHAPTER NINETY FOUR

-: fifth year :-

── IN WHICH BRIEF GOODBYES 
ARE SHARED

. . .

It took them twenty minutes to reach King's Cross by foot. There wasn't quite a chance for a proper conversation to be had between Harry and Jane, who settled for holding hands as they listened to Mrs Weasley and Tonks dither about Sturgis not turning up, Sirius jumping around in dog form besides them, scaring cats to make them laugh despite the somewhat dire situation.

Jane had always known it was inevitable. She had known that Harry attended boarding school very early into their original friendship and that he was only home for the summer. She had known that he hated the Dursleys to a point that he would stay at school during the entirety of the year before returning for yet another summer and before meeting her, it was clear that he was somewhat forced to do as such. And she wasn't against that, she understood it and didn't quite mind it; avid leter writing was just another thing she would have to take up her time. Besides, distance and time would only make the reunion that much sweeter. 

Now, she supposed, that she knew Harry wasn't just going to any boarding school (there had been some fear that the school was some hellhole that the Dursleys had shipped him off to) and was in fact a wizard, there was a little less stress to the situation. He would come back to Grimmauld Place to be with his godfather and as Flora was such a prominent part of the Order, Jane would be there when he arrived back. 

Until then, Jane would continue with Harry, Tonks, Mrs Weasley, and Sirius in dog-form into King's Cross, the famed station busy with people as usual and easy to get lost between. But they managed to stay together until they reached the gap between Platform 9, and Platform 10. A lingering worry had come since they managed to reach there; what if she couldn't get through?

But Harry squeezed her hand as they slipped through the barrier first before quickly being followed by Mrs Weasley and Tonks. Wonder filled Jane's eyes as they emerged out onto Platform 9¾, her eyes travelling over to the magnificent Hogwarts Express stood belching sooty steam over a platform packed with departing students and their families. Jane thought being in Grimmauld Place, a house full of wizards with many often coming and going, was magical, but Platform 9¾ was a whole other story. It was like Diagon Alley, or the Ministry when she had been rushed through; all inherently magical places that she could wonder at. 

"Nice dog, Harry." A boy called, and she looked up, Sirius yapping by her heels. "Oh, I see." A glimmer of humour appeared in his eyes when he noticed Jane by his side. "I'll be asking Fred and George about that." He added as he sloped off towards his parents. 

"Thanks, Lee." Harry replied after him, a grin on his face as he turned towards Jane. "Lee Jordan. The twins' best friend." Sirius wagged his tail frantically at the commen. 

"Oh good." Mrs Weasley sounded relieved despite her cutting off the wonder faced by Jane as she peered around corners and examined faces of other witches and wizards, who looked entirely like normal people - not that she expected otherwise. "Here's Alastor with the luggage, look..." 

A porter's cap pulled low over his mismatched eyes, Moody came limping through the archway pushing a cart full of their trunks. "All okay." He muttered to Mrs Weasley and Tonks, offering a nod to Jane and Harry. "Don't think we were followed."