˗ˋ 50

CHAPTER FIFTY

-: fourth year :-

── IN WHICH THEY STOP
JUST BRIEFLY

. . .

They had driven for almost an hour when Flora decided to wanted to take a stop, and veered off of the motorway and into an area of rolling green hills and trees. Harry still had no idea where they were going, and it soon became obvious that Jane had been up for a while; she fell asleep on his shoulder within half an hour of beginning the journey.

With the roof down on the car and the sun generously pouring down over them, Angela selecting several CDs to play, the drive so far had been pleasant.

"You planning on saying there?" Angela turned back as they slowed and the wind wasn't so disruptive and distorting their words. Flora seemed to know exactly where she was going, eyes on a faded pink and green plastic sign, following it down a longer country-style lane and ending up outside a farmhouse that advertised a shop inside.

"If Jane wakes up then we'll come out." Harry nodded, knowing that with the lack of movement from the car it wouldn't be long.

"I'll the keys with you then." Florence stopped the car, pushing the door open and stepping out. Her heels were a little wobbly on the gravel and she held onto the side of the car for just a moment to regain her balance, handing Harry the keys. "If she wakes up tell her we're about forty-five minutes away."

"So she knows where we're going?" Harry asked. Not even the road signs helped at this point - they could be going anywhere and in all honest the Potter boy didn't have any sense of direction considering he barely even left Little Whinging.

"She does. But I doubt she'll tell you for now." Flora smiled. "Angela, come. I must purchase some of that jam.. and their cake. It is a must."

Angela nodded curtly, and Harry watched as they met in front of the car and made their way towards the shop, his attention turning to the girl asleep on his shoulder as they disappeared from his gaze.

Usually, Harry would have a lot of patience for things like this, and he would be much happier with Jane asleep on his arm. Usually, he would be content with Jane feeling comfortable to be so relaxed there. But he wanted to know where he was going. For a few seconds he fought his own opposing thoughts.

Should he wake Jane? He knew that she wouldn't mind too much and probably be far too apologetic about her not being with him every waking moment she could manage on his birthday, but on the other hand she had done so much for him that he could function without her for a few minutes more.

But he needn't have worried; Jane woke by herself in the midst of his contemplation, eyes flickering awake and taking in the abrupt change of scenary from where they had been the last time she was in a state of conciousness.

"I'm so sorry." She muttered, stiffling a yawn as she moved for the first time and Harry's head shot downwards. "I was up this morning trying to make sure that Clem and Treacle didn't rip each other's heads off in a playfight in the room below mine."

"Don't worry about it." Harry replied instantly.

"No, really. It's your birthday and I fell asleep on you." Jane looked genuinely guilty and Harry shook his head. Really, after everything she had done for him he couldn't even comprehend the idea that she felt bad for not doing something. "How can I make it up to you? In the picnic basket there are some treacle tarts...?"

"How about.." Something sparked in the Potter boy's mind. "How about you tell me where we're going."

"Except that. I can't do that." Jane didn't enjoy the look that came to Harry's expressions at that and she sat up, shifting in her seat just slightly so that they were closer together. She had long ago guessed that Flora and Angela were inside the nearby shop and it was rather heart warming to know that Harry had stayed in the backseats of Flora's car rather than get out to stretch his legs. "But I can tell you what we're not doing?"

"Oh really?" He asked, watching as she nodded and settled back down into a deemed comfortable position, her head resting in the curve of his neck.

"Well, my original plan for your birthday was for us to meet up at the tree and then go get on a bus. We would get off wherever we wanted to, spend the day there or just a couple of hours before moving on. If you wanted we could've gone to the town and got on a train somewhere.. but then last night Flora got a letter from one of her old friends.. a man named Orson Diggle." Jane explained.

Harry knew what that seemed to be code for immediately. Any of Flora's 'old friends' ended up being witches and wizards. He also recognised the last name, he had no idea where from if he was honest.

"Then Flora mentioned how her and Angela were going to meet him and seeing as he lives in a rather nice place she wondered if we would want to come along. I couldn't really figure out if you would've wanted to but after the summer we've had I would've assumed so." She continued, a finger fiddling with the end of a long curl of red hair. "So I said yes.. and here we are."

"So we're going somewhere nice." Harry concluded, his head tilting to the side and coming to a rest on hers.

"Hopefully so." Jane confirmed. "Oh, and don't worry, we won't be hanging around with Flora and Angela. We can do our own things.. I still have a few things planned."

"Good. I'm looking forward too them." Harry smiled, and the action was mirrored as Jane could feel it in his cheeks.

And so, for Harry, even if he wasn't too sure on where they were going, he knew he was still going to have a good time. He figured he could have a good time anywhere as long as Jane was right there with him.

a/n
pls listen to what once was by hers it is the embodiment  of my longing to live in fictional universes.

also, do other people get that? let they get so consumed by something that they genuinely wished they live there? i know thats a thing but i get it so bad i feel sort of sick and guilty? for me
those fictional universes have always been stranger things and harry potter??? like the vibes are immaculate and thats probably why i write so much about it its like escapism on steroids

and happy birthday to my fave under appreciated main character!!!