˗ˋ 55

CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE

-: fourth year :-

── IN WHICH THEY REACH
THE SMUGGLERS COVE

. . .

They were still in a relatively giggly mood as they made their way down the cliffside path to the hidden beach Jane had told Harry so much about, their hands still very much connected in the small space between them.

The pair were lucky it was a nice day; the sun shining down, the clouds and wind non-existent making the path a lot less perilous than it would be in other weathers. It was crumbling, incredibly steep, so much so that some parts had to be made into steps and the entire thing was fenced off by a sturdy wall instead of anything wooden or metal. 

But both of the teens were far too happy to care about the risks, reaching the deserted sand with the picnic hamper set down on the blanket and settling down beside it. Harry couldn't be happier, especially not with Jane laid between his legs, head resting just above his heart.

The ends of her hair were tangled around his fingers, there were dustings of sand covering the hemline of her dress and leaking onto the blanket, and with a stomach full of his favourite foods and his birthday cupcake, Harry couldn't think of a moment he had been happier. 

It could rival the time that Sirius offered him a home following the revelation that it had been Peter Pettigrew who betrayed his parents and not him, or the time he managed to escape from the Dursleys a month early for the Quidditch World Cup. 

But right then and there, Harry felt his happiest, listening to words of the final act of Romeo and Juliet as Jane read to him. He couldn't quite believe that he had kissed him - that she had kissed him. The feeling had been electric; addictive even and considering that Harry had never kissed someone or even be kissed by anyone. 

He had found that clover - well, not exactly - but it was close enough. Either way, he was beginning to feel the smallest part guilty for tricking her, and as Jane came to a natural pause in the book, too distracted by the call of the seagulls above them, Harry decided to come clean. 

"It was a five-leafed clover." He came right out with it, Jane's head tilting upwards to face him. Thankfully, there didn't seem to be even a hint of anger there.

"I figured as much." She sat up a little, turning towards him and crossing her legs. "Sometimes.. you're about as observant of a brick wall, and I didn't want to wait any longer."

"Oh, how nice of you to notice." Harry grinned, shaking his head as she settled back down again, head against his chest.. "Either way, I'm sorry for lying to you. I don't think I could wait either." He admitted. "And I want to thank you - really, really thank you - for today. I haven't had a proper birthday really before."

"I really don't need to be thanked, Harry." Jane reached for his hand finger tracing over the scars. "When did you go to Scotland? I didn't get to ask earlier." 

"My school's up there." Harry replied, feeling the same tingling feeling as he did when Jane told him that they looked pretty. "I wanted to get as far away from my Uncle and Aunt as possible I guess."

"I've never been. Is it as cold as they say it is?"

"Oh, freezing. In autumn it's fine, but it snows really early on. Christmas is incredible, there's a lake right besides it and there's carriages and ice skating and a massive Christmas tree and so many decorations." Harry explained, thinking back to the previous year and the Yule Ball - Jane would have loved the Yule Ball. 

"And in the spring?" Jane questioned. She was watching him, and he could feel it. 

"On the moors surrounding there are the lambs and it's still relatively cold." The Potter boy explained. He had only ever seen one or two sheep; most were opposite the lake and as far away from the Forbidden Forest as they could manage. Something in there, amongst the centaurs and acromantula, would eat any that two close. They had always suspected Fluffy, who had been released into there after his first year. 

"The summer's... nothing compared to this, seeing as I'm at school and everything. But when the sun comes out properly we can go down to the lake, or the island near to the shore." Harry looked down to meet her eyes, smiling. "What?" He asked. 

"You really love it there." Jane smiled. "You smiled like that.. whilst talking to me, talking about Ron and Hermione and your godfather Sirius. That's the only other thing you've smiled like that about." 

"I suppose I do, yeah." Harry watched as she stood up, completely entranced. She was so insightful, recognising and noticing things that others wouldn't. "Where are you going?" He asked, his thoughts catching up with what he was seeing. 

"Come on, we have twenty minutes before we should start walking back and I want to have a look in that cave." Harry's head swivelled around and followed where she was going, before hurrying to get up and follow her. 

Jane was waiting, and as if on instinct, she held out her hand.