˗ˋ 76

CHAPTER SEVENTY SIX

-: fifth year :-

── IN WHICH THE MORNING
BREAKS

. . .

He woke almost suddenly, somehow becoming aware of the light streaming through the only slightly grimy windows the room through his dreams. It seemed that Flora, whilst putting the room together so that it was fit for the inabitant of her newly adopted daughter, had given it a quick magical clean - something that Molly hadn't been able to do for them, seeing as it was a case of keeping them busy in the strange house and they shouldn't really use magic out of school - especially not Harry.

But unlike usual, the curtains were pulled open and he couldn't hear the intake of heavy breaths on Ron's behalf - he did snore, after all. Harry's eyes opened, blinded by the early morning light. It was blurry and he began to sit up,  his hand emerging from the covers to grope around for his glasses, eventually finding them on one of the bedside tables.

And when he pushed them on, he found himself in a room remarkably similar to the one which  he had stayed so many nights in back in Little Whinging. It was as though the attic room of the Adley manor had been lifted up and transported to a room on one of the many floors of Number 12 Grimmauld Place. 

"It's insane, isn't it?" His head shot towards the windows, gaze forced from the painting above the fireplace that he had sworn wasn't in her original room. Jane was stood by the window, a knitted striped cardigan pulled over the shorts and vest that served as her pajamas. Her eyes only strayed over to him for a moment, before she looked back out the window. "It's like Flora got it replicated.. I'm assuming it's magic?"

"It must be." Harry nodded. "I haven't heard of a spell like that though, you could ask her now." He was staring at the painting again, trying to figure out where he knew it from. It wasn't magical; there were no moving parts within it, from the water painted below a white bridge to the willow hanging over it.

"It's a framed poster of a famous muggle painter - Claude Monet?" Jane watched as he nodded at the name, it being vaguely familiar. "''The Water-Lily Pond'. It was the only poster I took from my room at the Home, cost me about twenty quid from the first time I visited London on a paid trip from a sponsor." She made her way back over to the bed, curling her legs beneath her. "You know there are kids out there, playing on the streets?"

"There is?" Harry had to admit he hadn't done much staring out of the windows since arriving at Grimmauld Place. He knew there was a green in the centre of the square and often heard a few joyful shouts but never pieced it together. 

"It seems pretty grim in here, but it's actually quite nice outside." Jane nodded, smiling up at him. Their knees were touching and he relished in the feeling, pulling hair out of his eyes as it began to tickle his forehead. "There must be a school around - there was someone Ginny's age watching them."

"A school?" Harry looked confused. "What's important about the school?" His mind was still bleary with sleep as he stifled a yawn and Jane smiled.

"I don't know a lot about the Order.. or your world in general. But what I have heard makes me think Flora is a pretty important figure in it all. Mr and Mrs Weasley will continue to live here once you all go back to school and I'm assuming I will too." Jane looked almost sad as she spoke about it. "If there's a school around it means I'll be able to go, live like I used to a little bit."

"Will that make you happy?" 

"I don't know. Maybe." Jane shrugged. "I was just like any other normal kid when I was at the Home, I went to school, I did maths and Shakespeare and... physics as disgusting as it is. This summer's been so different for me. It was amazing, nothing like I'll ever experience but then it came to an end with.. a lot of busyness. I've had a lot thrown at me so I guess.. I guess some normality is needed, right? Like how you have to go back to Little Whinging after a year of magical schooling." 

"We haven't really spoken about it, have we." Harry realised with a start, watching as she pulled the cardigan closer around her shoulders. "Will you write?" 

"Harry, of course I'll write." She was smiling, closer to him then before, pushing his glasses further up his nose. "Did you think I wouldn't?" 

"No - I just.. I didn't know for sure." He shrugged, a grin to match her own as he leaned forward and kissed her. It seemed to be the only thing he could ever think of doing when she got this close. He hadn't been able to do so before, when they hadn't spoken about the reality of their feelings, and after he finally got the chance to there was hardly any time before he was whisked of by Mad-Eye and Remus. Now, even though they were in Grimmauld Place as opposed to a hidden beach, it was  the only thought on his mind. 

His hands met her waist, pulling her even closer with no effort at all, ginger curls dusting over the back of his palms, which were so inflicted with reminders of everything he had been through - most of what still need to be explained to the girl on his lap. Their noses bumped and a laugh bubbled through as their eyes opened, only moving an inch or so apart, foreheads touching.

There was a hammering on the door, causing the both of them to jump out of their skins, pulling away instantly. "Jane! Jane, dear, it's Mrs Weasley!" The voice announced. Harry's eyes widened, Jane's hand reaching to cover his mouth instantly. "I just thought I would let you know that breakfast is at the table and.. well, that's about it. Harry is in the shower, so he'll be down in a minute but as of now Hermione and Ginny are down there, if you're worried about that. If not, ignore what I said.. but there's eggs and toast ready." 

"Okay, thank you - I'll be just a moment." Jane called, her hand still over Harry's mouth. There was a reply they didn't quite catch, but they did hear creaking footsteps as Mrs Weasley departed. Jane turned to her boyfriend, eyebrows raised. "You're apparently in the shower." 

Harry pulled her wrist away. "Ron has the odd moment where he's a great liar." He shrugged, smiling. "But.. do you have a shower? I might have to take one."

"And get changed into what?" Jane replied. "Nope - you'll just have to hurry." She smiled, getting up and pushing his back towards the door. "Go on - you stink." 

He came to stop by the door as she pulled it open, hand on his shoulder as she pushed him out again. "Go." Jane smiled. "I'll see you at breakfast." 

"Good." Harry grinned, leaning forward and pressing one last kiss to her lips before hurrying away back to his room. 

He didn't even realise he had left his wand.