˗ˋ 102

CHAPTER ONE HUNDRED AND TWO

-: fifth year :-

── IN WHICH THE WEASLEYS 
HEAR THE TALE

. . .

She was warm, Merlin, she was so warm. And she smelt good - like lavender and vanilla and the usual cinnamon of Christmas. Harry couldn't believe he had forgotten that scent, couldn't believe he hadn't been hugged like that by someone in several months. Couldn't believe he was seeing her again and the euphoria of that seemed to still be overpowered by a dull pain in his forehead.

It had been months, and he really hadn't meant for it to be months, hoping to arrange some kind of scenario that saw him sneaking out to Hogsmeade like he did to send his letters and Flora or... or Tonks to Apparate and deliver Jane there to him to spend an afternoon together, but things had been so busy and it had become increasingly harder for Harry to do so much as write a letter, let alone figure out a time to see her face to face.

The holidays for Christmas were his only hope. He knew that, for that year at least, he would be leaving Hogwarts instead of remaining there and hoping to avoid the Dursleys until summer. And instead he would be at Grimmauld Place, which was where Jane was, where Sirius was and, well, where everyone else was for that time of year. 

And now he was seeing her and although yes, the pain of the nightmare that seemed to not really be a nightmare at all but instead a vision of sorts was still very much present, there was a sense of happiness that came from it that made him way more relaxed than he should be in that situation. 

"What the hell happened?" Jane asked, not pulling away quite yet and her words nothing but a murmur in his ear. "You're not supposed to be back until Friday. It's Wednesday night." 

"Actually, it's very early on Thursday morning." Harry replied, before stepping back. His arm remained loosely around her waist. "I... I had..." His eyes landed on the group of Weasleys watching him expectantly. He frowned, this was harder than telling Professor McGonagall and Dumbledore back in the office at Hogwarts. But Jane smiled at him and squeezed his hand even though she had even less of an idea about what had happened than the family in front of him.

Sirius seemed to understand too, coming to stand by him and patting him on the back, leading him down over to one of the chairs around the dining chair and instructed everyone else to do the same. And then, when Harry could hold his gaze somewhere else than their worried faces, he told them everything he had seen.

He had told them about the place he was certain was the Department of Mysteries, about the snake and about it attacking Mr Weasley as he watched from the sidelines, Jane holding his hand all the while as Sirius watched over the group, having filled the kettle with water to boil over the stove as they listened. 

When Harry fell quiet, Jane felt a little faint; Mr Weasley had eaten dinner with her that evening, telling her more about what he actually did at work. Now, hours later, his children were listening to how Harry had seen him be attacked. Each of them were even paler than they usually were, the twins staring at Harry with something quite unrecognisable in their eyes. Then;

Fred turned to Sirius. "Is Mum here?" He asked.

"She probably doesn't even know what's happened yet." Sirius replied, his voice void of all sarcasm and much more careful than usual. "The important thing was to get you away before Umbridge could interfere." Jane glanced around at that; there seemed to be the general consensus that that was a good idea. "I expect Dumbledore's letting Molly know now." 

"We've got to go to St. Mungo's." Ginny said urgently. She looked around at her brothers; they were, of course, still in their pajamas. "Sirius, can you lend us cloaks or anything-?"

"Hang on, you can't go tearing off to St. Mungo's!" Sirius shook his head. "No, no, no."

"Yeah - no, you can't go." Jane quickly saw the dangers and stepped in, agreeing with Sirius and backing him up,

"'Course we can go to St. Mungo's if we want." Fred replied, with a sharp, angry expression, "he's our dad!" He had never quite looked so serious as he did then and it revealed the seriousness of the situation. 

"Well how do you expect them to understand how you knew about the attack before anyone else did?" Jane replied, careful not to show her upset at the anger he felt. "If Mrs Weasley doesn't know it doesn't make sense for you somehow to."

"What does that matter?" George replied hotly. 

"It matters because we don't want to draw attention to the fact that Harry is having visions of things that are happening hundreds of miles away!" Sirius said angrily. "Have you any idea what the Ministry would make of that information?" Beside Harry, Jane squeezed his hand. 

Fred and George looked as though they couldn't give a shit what the Ministry made of anything. Ron was still white-faced and silent. Harry didn't dare look at them anymore.

"Somebody else could have told us..." Ginny offered softly. "We could have heard it somewhere other than Harry...."

"Like who?" Sirius asked impatiently. "Listen, your dad's been hurt while on duty for the Order and the circumstances are fishy enough without his children knowing about it seconds after it happened, you could seriously damage the Order's-"

 "We don't care about the dumb Order!" Fred shouted. 

"It's our dad dying we're talking about!" George chimed in, in equally loud words.

"Your father knew what he was getting into, and he won't thank you for messing things up for the Order!" Sirius said in return. "This is how it is - this is why you're not in the Order - you don't understand - there are things worth dying for!" 

"Easy for you to say, stuck here!" Fred bellowed. "I don't see you risking your neck!" 

The little color remaining in Sirius's face drained from it. He looked for a moment as though he would quite like to hit Fred who swallowed, seemingly aware of what he had just said.

"That's not fair." Jane murmured. Fred seemed to settle at that, glancing guiltily over to Sirius before looking away. "You know that it's Dumbledore's orders that he stays here. It's not his fault he's thought to be a... well, you know."

Sirius looked semi-pleased that she hadn't actually said it. He took a deep breath himself, wanting to keep his own upset at bay and "I know it's hard, but we've all got to act as though we don't know anything yet. We've got to stay put, at least until we hear from your mother, all right?" 

Slowly, the Weasleys in the kitchen nodded. "That's right," Sirius encouraged, "come on, let's all... we'll forget the tea - let's all have a drink while we're waiting. Accio Butterbeer!"

And as Jane made her way around with the bottle opener, she seemed to be the only one who noticed that Harry didn't quite look as worried as the Weasleys. Well, of course he was worried, but Jane was certain that his expression was nothing other than saddening guilt.

a/n
rewatched obx and i kinda
 wanna write a jj fic