6.

Clarence House, London

June 2003

The final half term of this school year had started a few days before, and Alice had enjoyed the first three days away from it all, at her father's country estate, Highgrove

The final half term of this school year had started a few days before, and Alice had enjoyed the first three days away from it all, at her father's country estate, Highgrove. She still had a month of school until her last day of school, but just the thought of this being her last year before she finally graduates makes a shiver run through her spine. But she would have to think about that another time. Today they were travelling back to London, where the princess would spend the rest of the days until trooping and afterwards she would be going back to school. 

But before she could do that they had one very important stop to make, their future home, Clarence House. 

Alice was going alone, her father and brothers already being there, but she would stop at her friends house to pick her up so she wouldn't have to be alone, specially when her brothers were taking a few friends as well. 

When they stopped in front of the Mayfair townhouse Lady Arabella Grosvenor was already waiting outside, and didn't wait for the driver to open his own door before sitting beside her friend. 

"Hello." 

"How are you?" The Princess asks as the car drives off and they make the short drive to St James. 

"Good. I had few good days in London, actually." 

"And how is your father?" The Princess knew she had to ask, it had been the first time her friend had seen the Duke of Westminster since the last half term. 

"Better, and Hugh is making him company. Papa wants to teach him more about our family history, like he doesn't know enough." 

Alice had to let out a laugh. She knew exactly what Hugh was going through, it didn't matter how much family history you already knew their parents were always trying to teach us more of what we were already aware of. But it made them feel good, knowing their children would carry with them history, after all that was the main reason aristocrats and royals had children, to carry on the line. 

The car turned on the private road and stopped in front of the big house, which now that Alice was able to have a good look at the cream toned building, it didn't seem much like the other homes around London. Which would be expected, after all it was part of a Palace.

"Your Royal Highness." Alice shook her father's private secretary's hand and moved out of the way, making space for her friend.

"Sir Michael. This is my friend, Lady Arabella Grosvenor."

"Very nice to meet you, milady. Do follow me." 

They went through the main floor of the home, which was more complete than Alice had imaged when her father said major renovations were needed, the red carpet had already been placed and was now just covered by brown paper while the team finished putting the wallpapers up and the upper floors were finished. They went up to the second floor, where the Prince of Wales' bedroom and sitting room was located, as Sir Michael had explained. 

"Their Royal Highnesses are on the Prince's room, ma'am." 

Alice and Arabella thanked the gentleman and finish the short distance to the room, finding Harry and William on one corner of the room, near the windows, with three friends, two of whom Alice recognised from their trip to Greece a few years back. 

"Papa." 

They both do a curtsy to the prince before Alice kisses her father's cheeks, and he can greet 'dear Lady Arabella'. Charles asks how the journey had been before they can get to main main topic of conversation, and he can send each of his children to where their future bedrooms are located. 

"Alice!" There was a hint of surprise in the expression of Mrs Parker Bowles when she went to greet the young princess. 

Camilla had been spending most of her time with the Prince of Wales, but with Prince William away in Scotland, Prince Harry at Eton and Princess Alice at Benenden, the older lady hadn't spent much, if not any, time with the children, with now being the first time she had seen the girl in many months. But she was happy to see her nonetheless, kissing both of her cheeks, before falling into to line with the Prince. 

Right then and there Alice noticed. She already knew her father loved Camilla, that much was obvious, but it had never crossed her mind that the companion would move in full time with them. But she was, and the bag of fabric samples she was carrying gave it away quite easily. 

"Have you decided on a colour for the curtains yet?" Alice asked, kindly, trying to hide her perplexed expression. 

"Yes. We agreed on blue." 

"It will look nice, I think, with the cream on the walls."

"That is exactly what I told Charles." 

But the small talk pretty much ended there, with the arrival of the princes and their friends. Alice greeted them all at once with a smile, and turned her attention to Arabella, who seemed just as shocked as Alice, but she didn't know the full extent of the relationship, not like Alice knew anyways. 

"Lily, your bedroom is the last to the right. William, second to the right. Harry the one in front of William's. If you have any questions ask Michael." 

The eldest brother led the way, with the two youngest trailing behind with the other guests. Alice bedroom was the last on the hall that connected all the five bedrooms of that first floor, and although she didn't have a view of the gardens she had more windows than her brothers. 

"Oh my God, Lily! Your bedroom is huge!" 

"I know. It's going to be strange, not having to share a bedroom." 

"I know you're going to miss me." Arabella says, putting her arms around her friend, letting out a giggle. 

"Never!" The Princess laughs as she pushes her friend away, just as William enters her room accompanied by the two friends Alice had recognised. 

"Not fair! Your bedroom is like, six feet bigger than mine." 

"Don't whine, Wills, it doesn't look good on you." 

They all let out a laugh, as the princess goes to explore her toilet, which had the biggest bath she had ever seen. 

"Bella, you have to see this bathtub!"