13.

Harcourt Castle, Suffolk

March 2012

The heir of the 10th Duke of Suffolk, Edward, Marquess of Dorset, married this morning Miss Anastacia Rowels, in a private ceremony at the St Mary's Church, in Suffolk, where one of the Duke's country estates is located just forty-five minutes awa...

The heir of the 10th Duke of Suffolk, Edward, Marquess of Dorset, married this morning Miss Anastacia Rowels, in a private ceremony at the St Mary's Church, in Suffolk, where one of the Duke's country estates is located just forty-five minutes away from Ipswich. 

The ceremony and reception was attended by the Duke of Cambridge and Princess Alice, while the Duchess of Cornwall only attended the ceremony on behalf of the Prince of Wales who had a previous commitment. 

Princess Alice and Prince William were seen arriving together for the evening reception, however, Princess Alice only stayed an hour before being driven back home to London. 

Edward, Marquess of Dorset was Princess Alice's boyfriend from 2005 to 2008, and many speculated the Princess would be walking down the aisle with the future Duke. However, the new Anastacia, Marchioness of Dorset captured the aristocrat's heart and locked him down.

Princess Alice hasn't been linked with anyone since the end of her relationship with William Colfield in early 2011. 

Alice smiled at her phone as she saw for the first time the photo Bella had sent her. Little Ronald James was the cutest thing Alice had seen in a while, and even without having met him in person Alice already knew he would very much be spoiled by his Godmother. 

When little Ronnie was born, the day before Edward's wedding, it seemed like it was the light and happiness she needed to get through that dark weekend. And when Bella sent a video of Hector holding a very sleepy Ronnie, Alice's heart melted, and she was honoured to have been chosen to be one of Ronald's Godparents.

Alas, although Ronnie was a very bright light in her life, it wasn't enough to make Alice get through seeing her ex boyfriend walking down the aisle and marrying a girl almost ten years younger than him. But Alice didn't say anything, apart from the first few comments, which were taken into consideration by the new Marchioness, and smiled as they gathered around the vast gardens of the Harcourt-Grey estate, doing small talk and meeting Anastacia's university classmates. 

Alice and William greeted and congratulated the new couple, with William firmly behind her, taking the job of protective big brother a little too serious. Albeit Alice had a few reservations and it was strange seeing your ex boyfriend, who asked you to marry him, married to someone else, the Princess had made peace with her situation, and it really didn't bother her anymore, after all it didn't really have anything to do with her. 

But it made her heart sink a little when the Duke of Suffolk called her into his study later that evening, while everyone was eating cake and dancing the night away. The 63 year old man had a sad smile as they sat down and he served two cups of tea. 

"When you two were dating, one always thought you'd be the one for Edward." 

Alice smiled, taking a sip of the Earl Grey and looking out the window, biting her tongue not to agree with him. 

"He told me you weren't ready for marriage, and I told him to wait. Perhaps he should have listened to me."

"Edward is happy, Hugh. Anastacia makes him happy."

"Maybe for now, but who knows what will happen tomorrow."

The Princess had a very close relationship with the Duke of Suffolk, and when the words escaped her lips she didn't feel as bad. 

"You shouldn't say that about Edward, Hugh. He is a wonderful man, and if he went through with all this he must love his wife." 

"I would prefer to be the grandfather of his children with you. But I guess I will accept and love them anyways." 

Alice nodded, taking a deep breath and controlling herself and her mind from not jumping too fast into any absurd conclusions. But the message of the Duke was clear, and that did caught her off guard, and when the Duke decided they needed to head back to the ballroom Alice excused herself and fled the estate, emotions flowing and mixing and her thoughts and heart racing way too fast for her own good. She would send a bouquet of flowers and another wedding present for the couple with a letter of 'sorry for leaving without saying goodbye' tomorrow, but at that moment she didn't need to be reminded of what she had left behind.