32.

Windsor Castle, Windsor

December 2013

Alice had had a wonderful and blissful summer, some wonderful few months she hadn't had in years

Alice had had a wonderful and blissful summer, some wonderful few months she hadn't had in years. Some were, of course, more difficult than others, when her brother and sister-in-law welcomed they first child, a boy, whom they named George. Alice was more than happy for William and Catherine, she loved her brother, he had been one of the few people who had been there for her through everything, who defended her when seemly no one would, but seeing a baby boy being welcomed into the family with open arms while her Alfred had been kept a secret still hurt. 

July had been a thought month, but she still showed up and smiled, and held her nephew a little closer, wishing him all the happiness in the world, and that he should be the happiest little boy. In October Alice attended George's christening in the arm of Frederick, who had been invited after Alice introduced him to William and Catherine at the end of June. Frederick knew by that point something was going on with Alice, and it all started when George came along, and so he proposed they went on a holiday, a quick getaway before Alice was due in Scotland. 

For some delightful two and a half weeks, from the end of August and till the second week of September, the young couple spent the most wonderful time together in the Seychelles, the smallest country in Africa, visiting the town and the other archipelagos nearby, going out in the boat their hired for days on end, enjoying the sun and the sea, leaving away any of the anxieties Alice had been having those past few months. 

Moreover, for the first time Alice could see herself being with Frederick for the long term, and more than that, telling him about Alfred and the hellish few years she had had. And that was exactly what she did, on one of the last few days of their time in the Seychelles, while they were enjoying a day on the boat, she sat Frederick down and explained everything out, and again it felt like a huge weight had been lifted from her chest. She still felt nervous as Frederick put into words his reaction, but he seemed more than understanding as his expression grew into a smile and he took her hands into his. 

"Thank you for telling me, Lily. And I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Although I never been through half of what you have, I'm happy you told me, that you trust me with a part of your life that is so important to you."

"I thought you should know, Freddie, as I... Well, as I can see a future for us." 

Frederick takes a second to look at Alice's face, almost like he didn't believe the words had just come out of her mouth. They had been dating, seriously dating, for a year and a half now, but it seemed like they knew it each for longer, and it seemed like the obvious next step for them to consider a life together. Frederick places his hand on Alice's cheek before placing a deep kiss on her lips. 

Over the next few months, after Alice had returned from her holiday in Scotland with her family, Frederick and Alice had come to an agreement to move into her apartment at St. James' Palace, making it their home together, or as one could call it, their 'love nest'.