21.

Clarence House, London

2005

It felt good opening up to someone who wasn't family

It felt good opening up to someone who wasn't family. Alice's closest family members had all been made aware of her situation almost immediately after Alice had found out. So they talked. Alice tried running away from it at first, fully aware that it was New Years Eve and her life story should be the last thing they should be talking about in such an occasion, but Edward had stood his ground. And so the memories of a cold March morning in 2005 comes flooding back her brain with out possibility of rescue anymore. 

That morning Alice woke up sick. Again. It wasn't the first time, on the contrary, she had been feeling ill for the past month. She had first attributed it to stress, after all she was still in school and her father was getting married in just a few weeks; the world's media was now flashing their cameras at the Windsors, and Alice wasn't out of that list. 

The Princess had also another reason to think that it was just stress. She and her boyfriend were having a rough patch in their relationship. Alice wasn't sure what it was happening, all of a sudden he was different and Alice wasn't sure what to do, so she gave him space, which turned out to be the worst decision she could have made. He had promised to come back for the wedding and that they would talk before then, but just a day into March and David went MIA. Alice couldn't find him, his family didn't pick up her calls anymore and when they did they bluntly lied to her face, saying that they also didn't know anything about him. Alice couldn't ask her security to go on a hunt for him because it seemed silly and she was only nineteen, a girl still, terrified of looking like an obsessive girlfriend who wanted to know everything her boyfriend was doing at all times. 

So she let it go, and days became weeks, and her health only deteriorated. They were only ten days out of the wedding day and Alice couldn't be sick, she couldn't even catch a chill if it meant having consequences for her father and his bride. So she sucked it up and tried to finish her uni work before she was forced to focus on the other aspects of her life. 

It was during that rather chilly morning that Alice was feeling her worst. She had been sat at the table for the past half hour, looking down at her piece of toast and half a spoon of scrambled eggs. Even that small of a quantity made her see stars and get ready to run to the nearest loo. The problem wasn't that, of course, the problem was that Alice's father came in, looking for his bride and daughter, only to find his only daughter almost pale as paper, trying to calm her stomach down. 

"Is everything all right, Lily?"

"Of course it is, papa. Why wouldn't it?" 

Many reasons, Alice answered in her mind but tried to give a smile to her father while taking her eyes off the food on her plate. 

"I've been told you aren't eating much these past few days. Just wanted to make sure we don't need to call for the doctor." 

"Of course not!" Maybe, maybe we should.