23| the wedding date

LOGAN DIDN'T PLAN ON LIKING HER. Quite frankly, he wasn't sure how it happened.

    It started off as a mere crush, as they do. He was infatuated with her, but he didn't do anything about it, knowing he would mess up the co-presidency dynamic they had to keep professional for the remainder of the year. He tried to keep his distance, as he was used to with all of his romantic strings, but he couldn't stay away from her for long.

    He had to do something about it. So when Sebastian suggested that Logan should set him up on a blind date with her, it was a clear opportunity to get over her. At first, he begrudgingly accepted the favour and set the two up. But the closer he got to the day of the double date, the more jealous he felt himself getting. On the night of the date, he impulsively called Sebastian to cancel, leaving him on the date with Audrey.

     The date, as he suspected yet feared, was a roaring success. It was good, too good, even. Just good enough that Logan felt obliged to avoid her for the rest of the week, distracting himself with three other girls. A part of him wanted the date to go horribly, to realise that they were not as compatible as he initially thought, and he would go on with the rest of his life comfortably. Another part of him felt the lingering sense of hope arising.

    He watched her from afar, watching her mingle with the other guests she's met. He saw the way everyone glanced at her, always so charmed by her magnetic quality, and how she mistook the stares for judgement.

"Dad's still disappointed in me." He heard his sister, Honour, say from behind him.

He reluctantly broke his gaze off Audrey and turned to his sister. "Honour, in order for Dad to be truly disappointed in you, your name would have to be Logan."

    "I told them about my engagement yesterday." She said. "Over the phone, of course. I couldn't bring myself to say it to their face. And you know what they said?" She asked him. "Nothing! They congratulated me and ended the call."

    "They congratulated you?" He asked. "That's good, isn't it?"

     "I thought so." She said lowly. "But they've been so tense all day. God, they're like ice!" She grabbed his arm and pulled him to the open bar.

"They're always like that." Logan attempted to reassure her. He knocked on the wooden bar to grab the bartenders attention. "Two vodkas."

"Oh, god." Honour groaned in dread. "Mom's on her way over here."

"Make that four." Logan told the bartender.

     His mother approached the two with a plastered smile. "Hello, you two." She then turned to Logan. "Logan, I've been meaning to talk to you all evening. It's funny, it seems like every time I try and approach you, you disappear."

     "That is funny." He agreed. "Almost like I'm doing it on purpose." He muttered.

     "Four vodkas." The bartender placed the four glasses on the bar.

     His mother eyed the drinks in disapproval. "I thought you and your father agreed that you'd put your drinking and partying days behind you?"

     "No, you and my father agreed on that." He corrected.

      Sensing the tension, Honour decided to finally step in. "Have you seen the trubochki they're passing around?" She asked eagerly. "I know they're your favourite."

     "No, Mille-Feuille is my favourite." Her mother dismissed, her gaze not leaving Logan's. "Speaking of, I met your flavour of the month."

Logan's jaw tensed, the inevitable conversation he's been dreading since his mother approached him dawning. "Don't call her that."