2| my fair lady

AUDREY WAS NOT PLEASED with the direction her sophomore year was heading. It had been bad enough to start with being co-president to Huntzberger, not to mention her recent discovering of his two dear friends, Finn and Colin, being returning members of the council. This meant half of the council are his close friends, if you include Robert (although Logan wasn't fond of him much). As a form of vengeance and in a desperate cry for help, she managed to persuade Rory Gilmore into joining the council.

    But the dilemmas don't end there; Audrey was being rejected from a club she's been looking forward to since she first joined Yale. Mrs. Novik's Yale Writers Initiative was an elective that explores the art of journalism in depth. She was first introduced to this class when a graduate was instantly offered a position in the New York Times with no prior training necessary. Although Audrey could never make sure of this, she traced the graduate's credits and found this arcane journalism club and had a feeling it aided in her being offered the job.

     Audrey always had a hunch that Mrs. Novik was inspired by Dead Poets Society when forming this group, but if anything, it's more similar to The Secret History's class. It was a cheap knockoff with no academic objectives was what it is, but it had a good reputation to it. It was elitist, perhaps more so than she first assumed. "Mrs. Novik, while i'm aware that you have a maximum of ten students to admit into the club, I really think you should add one more chair."

    "I'm sorry, but it's just not possible." With a sigh, the professor intertwined her hands and set it firmly on the table. "Even if I could, i've seen your schedule, Ms. Wilde. It's a little hectic, don't you think?" Her voice was dull with a hint of scepticism. "I worked hard to build a secure environment for the students in the class, and I don't want attention drawn it."

    She nodded solemnly. "I understand, but I have to correct you— no attention would be drawn to your club, I can assure you no one pays attention to my extracurricular activities but the faculty itself." She carried on, catching a glint in the professor's eyes. "Unless... that's who you don't want attention from." she sunk back, escaping the brief oblivion. "Alright."

    There was a knowing glimmer in Mrs. Novik's eyes as she watched the girl slowly drift to the door. "I'll have you know, under different circumstances, you'd be the first person i'd let into the class, Ms. Wilde."

   Audrey flashed a small sweet smile to the professor before exiting the classroom. She headed across the campus to Brandford where her dorm was, stopping over to hand in her assignment to one of her economics classes on the way. To her luck, it was the last academic thing she had to do that today. The rest of her day consisted of one meeting with the student council, and then she would be heading out to a Yale Alumni party with her parents.

She turned the doorknob, stepping into the dorm to come face to face with her roommate, Paris. She's known Paris and Rory since her freshman year of high school, before she parted ways with them and transferred to another prep school during her last year in high school. She left them with the impression that the two were rivals, and the jealousy from Paris' side was evident. As she had come to figure, however, the two were now good friends, but they have their fair share of frenemies moments.  "How did it go?"

"Apparently, I draw in too much attention." She slumped to the couch, throwing her purse to the coffee table with the stacks of literary books and assigned textbooks.

Paris was preoccupied with the assigned homework, but looked up and arched an eyebrow at her. "Well, she has a point. Didn't you tell Doyle you wanted to join the club so you can write an article on it for the Daily News?"

"It would've been a plus, but it wasn't my entire motive. It would've looked good on my student CV."

"Oh, what? Is your dozen credits of extracurriculars not enough?" She let go of her pen ti offer more to the conversation. "If anything, I think you and Rory should quit a club or two. Do you know how revolting it is to be seen as the lazy one next to you too? Me, the lazy one!"

"Aren't you planning on taking Doyle's editor position?"

    Before Paris could dive into her three month plan of becoming editor, Rory stepped into the common room with a cup in he hands."The finest Americano in all of Connecticut." Rory says as she presented the cup of coffee to her.

  With a wide smile, she took the cup of coffee and sipped it, moaning at the taste. "Your coffees are miracles, Gilmore."

    "What can I say? It's my forte." Rory shrugs nonchalantly in mock pride as she crouched down to the couch. "I used the one Jess brought from Los Angeles, it's right besides the coffeemaker, feel free to use it whenever."

    "So how is the long distance thing going?" She asked curiously, leaning forward to show her interest on the matter. "Is he coming to the Yale Alumni party your grandparents are hosting tonight?"

    Rory drew in a breath before responding. "That's not really his thing, so no. And the long distance thing, it's... hard. It was fine this summer, but with me starting my second year here, I don't think i'll see him as much."

"You should break up with him." Paris stated blatantly, nodding along as if this was the perfect solution. "I mean it's not ideal, but it's realistic. Trust me, this long distance thing? Never works. Nada. It's a pathetic solution for two people who can't move on with their lives and accept that the time's not right."

    "I think it's sweet." Audrey rubbed a thoughtful finger beneath her lip. "That they love each other so much that they'd still want to be together, no matter the distance. And they still communicate even when they're not together— Rory says he annotates his books and gives it to her when they meet, so when she reads them it's like he's talking her through it. It's a romantic gesture straight out of a Garry Marshall movie."

    "I admit, it's not not adorable." That would be the extent Paris Gellar would possibly cross to admit to such. "Not as ridiculous as that blonde bombshell Bridgette Bardot, when her now-husband paid for a helicopter to drop hundred of roses over her villa, that's for sure."

    "I'm not one for grand romantic gestures, but I think it's sweet that he was infatuated so intensely that he'd do that." Rory shrugged, catching the disgusted look on Paris' face. "Don't give me that look, wouldn't you like it if someone did that for you?"

"It wouldn't be doing it for me, it would be doing it to me." Paris was adamant that the two were not interchangeable. "Are you even considering how hard it would be to pick up hundreds of flowers from your roof and yard?"

    "The devil's in the details."

    Audrey gazed at the two, overcome with the feeling that she had forgotten something vital. She reached for her notebook, opening to a page that listed all the events she had today. 4pm; sophomore council meeting. "Speaking of the devil, we have a meeting with Huntzberger and the council."

    "Crap, I forgot about that." Rory tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear, climbing to her feet whilst grabbing her tote bag.

Before they were out the door, Paris exclaimed; "Don't forget to pitch my literary Halloween costumes idea!"

"I will definitely not!"