28| kill bill

THE ARTICLE PROVED TO BE A SUCCESS. Of course, it didn't get raving reviews from her fellow editors, or offers to publish it in off-campus newspapers, but it did exactly what Audrey wanted it to do. The article pushed her to be amidst four new article drafts, all with the potential to be her most well written articles yet.

     "I think things are looking up for me." She decided as she stepped into the common room, dropping the shopping bag to the floor. "There's no one here." She looked around the empty room. "Rory? Paris?"

      "In here!" Rory called from her dorm room.

      Audrey grabbed the bag and stepped into Rory's room. "Things are looking up for me, Gilmore. The article? I wrote it. That Economics paper? Aced it."

      "That's great, Audrey." She smiled. "What did you buy?" She took out the fitted yellow Kill Bill inspired jumpsuit from the bag. "I'm guessing you're going to Finn's Tarantino themed party?"

       "I might." As long as I see you there, Logan's words echoed in her head. "Will you?"

      "If I get this paper done on time, sure."

      Paris walked into the room, a smile on her face. "Doyle just called me his girlfriend with no visible shaking."

      "That's genuinely impressive."

      "Look at me. No, look at us. I'm happy in a relationship, Rory's happy in her long distance relationship, and you—" She stopped at Audrey. "Will find someone, eventually, I'm sure."

     Audrey frowned. "I'm working on it."

     "You are?"

     As long as I see you there. Maybe, just maybe, she wouldn't have to be single for long. "We'll see what happens tonight."

     "That's vague." Paris said. "I hate vague."

"Finish the paper." Audrey urged Rory. "You're coming with me to the party."

Surely enough, Rory finished her paper just in time to go to Finn's birthday bash. She dressed up as Gogo Yubari from Kill Bill, throwing on a shoulder length wig with bangs. Audrey put on her costume, growing more nervous as they approached the club.

     When they stepped inside, they looked around the club, analysing the subtle Tarantino references at every corner. "They really went all out, huh?"

      "I can't imagine Finn going any lower." Audrey said, looking into the crowd. "Speaking of the birthday boy!"

      "Audrey Wilde! As I live and breathe. Have a drink." He grabbed a shot glass from a tray the waitress was holding. "Thank you darling, your name and number will also be appreciated." He said as he gawked at her.

     "Happy birthday, Finn."

     "Thank you." He turned to Rory. "Have we met?"

     "Numerous times."

     Audrey pursed her lips as she scanned the crowd.  "Hey, have you seen Logan?" She asked, taking extra effort to make it sound like a nonchalant question.

      "I have, indeed." He said. He didn't manage to elaborate further. Instead, he chugged down the shot he was originally going to offer Audrey, and then disappeared into the crowd to chase after the waitress.

      "That's Finn for you." She muttered.

       Rory eyed her. "What are you doing?"

      "What?" She asked cluelessly.

      "Did you come to this party for Logan?"

      "I don't know what you're talking about." She denied, but her eyes gave it away completely.

      "You did! You totally came here for him!"

      "Only because he told me to." Audrey whispered hastily. "It's not like I'm here to make a move on him. It's more like, I'm here to allow him to make a move on me."

      "How prideful you are."

"I'm pathetic." Audrey sighed, rubbing an arm down her face desperately. "I'm totally pathetic. I promised myself never to fall for men like Logan, you know? These womanising, pretentious, undeniably hot— shut up, Colin's coming."

      "Ah, Kill Bill. Classic." Colin said as he approached the two.

     "No date?" Rory asked.

      "I had a date, but when I went to pick her up, the door opens and she's dressed like Mira Sorvino."

     "How do you dress like Mira Sorvino?" Rory asked.

     "You have blonde hair and a name tag that says Mira Sorvino. I just closed the door and left." He turned around the observe the crowd. "God, I hate these incestuous parties! It's the same people, over and over."

      Finn wrapped an arm around Colin. "Who's as drunk as I am?"

     "No one since Spencer Tracy died." He retorted. "Finn, are there any interesting women here at all?"

     "Hey!" Audrey gesticulated to herself and Rory.

     "Taken," He said, pointing to Rory. "And off-limits." He said, pointing to Audrey.

      "What's that supposed to mean?"

       "I need a drink." Colin groaned, pulling Finn with him to the bar.

When they left, Audrey and Rory went to grab snacks from the corner. They munched on the hors d'oeuvres as they watched the crowd moving in front of them, judging peoples costumes. "Why is that guy here as Superman?"

"Oh my god, Jackie Brown is making out with Vincent Vega." Audrey wrinkled her nose in disgust. "Annd Mr. Blonde just joined them. It's a threesome."

      "Oh no." Rory said, looking out at something in the distance, her mouth forming a small circle.

     Audrey turned around in search of what Rory was looking at. "What?"

     Rory quickly grabbed her shoulders, stopping her from turning around. "Don't turn around."

      She stared blankly at her. "What is it?" She pushed Rory's arm off of her shoulder and turned around.

At the corner of the room, Logan was in the middle of a make-out session with a girl dressed as Mia Wallace. Oh. "I think I'm going to throw up." She says, turning away from the sight of the two.

       Rory looked at her sympathetically. "Do you want us to leave?"

      "That would be great." She said gravelly, grabbing her coat. As they left the club and stepped into the quiet street outside, Audrey bit her lip. "Go ahead, I'll be right behind you, I just need to make a quick phone call."

     "Alright."

      When Rory left, Audrey dug into her purse and got out a small folded piece of paper. She held it in one hand and her phone in the other, and began dialing a number. When it started ringing, she grew more anxious. "Hello?"

     "Frank?"

     "Yeah, who's this?"

     "It's Audrey." She said, stammering over her words. "I was wondering if I could still take you up on that offer."