14| while you were sleeping

"ARE YOU SURE YOU CAN DO THIS?" Audrey asked persistently. They were already on the outskirts of New Haven when it poured even heavier drops of rain. "Can you see the road?" She asked worriedly.

"Relax, would you?"

Audrey couldn't simply relax. They were on a two-way street surrounded by woods, and it took much longer than anticipated to leave New Haven. When they were supposed to be out of New Haven in twenty minutes, they have hardly gotten out in forty minutes. The rain slowed them down more than they could've guessed. But what worried her the most was how utterly terrible she came to find out Logan's driving skills were.

    "Should I call Joshua's brother? Make sure he has someone to at least bring him an icepack?"

Audrey turned to him, lips agape and an amused laugh to scorn huffing out of her. "Is this your way of asking me what happened?"

    "You told me not to ask, so i'm not asking."

    "Ah, yes, because listening to me is your reputation."

    "I could smell the alcohol from a mile away, so I can guess." He shrugged, glancing to her for a second. "Joshua has a fat mouth when he's drunk, so i'm sure he said something stupid." He explained. "He's an insecure little guy because his friends tease him about not pulling any girls."

    Audrey wasn't bothered. She didn't feel insecure about his comment that men wouldn't find her interesting enough to date. She's been on her fair share of dates in Yale, but always seemed to call it off before the second date until she figured out that she wasn't ready for a relationship. Despite the many rumours about her, calling her a pass around and such, no guy she met seemed to interest her enough to keep dating. And besides, she had bigger things to worry about.

    "Maybe you should pullover."

    "We'll make it just fine." He convinced her. "I didn't know you were so scared of the rain."

   "What?" She turned to him, puzzled. "Wait," She laughed in realisation. "You don't think i'm scared of the rainstorm, do you?" She chuckled.

    He glanced at her. "Then why should I pullover?"

    "So I could drive instead." She stated like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "You drive like an old man— five cars passed us in the last ten minutes."

    "It's raining, I can't speed when it's raining."

    "Yeah, but i'm freezing. Today's supposed to be the coldest night of the year."

    "Alright, i'm pulling over."

Audrey got out of the car, rushing to the other side with her jacket over her head. She got into the car with her clothes wet, as did Logan. "Alright," She turned on the Porsche's engine, hiding the bit of excitement she had to drive a race car. "Buckle your seatbelt, Huntzberger, because you are about to experience adult driving."

     He huffed through his nose, rolling his eyes playfully. "Just drive, Woods."

Smiling, she put the car on drive. Audrey pressed on the gas pedal, but nothing happened. Before Logan could notice something was wrong, she tried the process again. She put the car back on park, then on drive, and slammed her foot onto the gas pedal— and still, nothing. "It's not working." She said, confused.

"What do you mean it's not working?" Logan asked skeptically.

"It means i'm pressing on the gas but the car isn't moving." She stated in a pronounced tone. She tried three more times before turning to him, defeated. "Is something wrong with your car?"