24| say anything

WHEN SHE TOLD LOGAN HUNTZBERGER TO GET OVER HIS CRUSH ON HER, she didn't expect him to go off subtly flirting with the girls in the ballroom a mere ten minutes after their conversation.

     No— that, she half-expected, the truly unforeseen part was when she felt herself growing more and more jealous by the minute as she watched him from afar. Not only that, but she felt physically sick at the sight. God, what is wrong with me? She thought to herself, washing down her feelings with scotch.

Normally, she wouldn't drink, especially not at a high class event where everyone in the room was familiar with her parents. As her mother would tell her, her family's reputation depended on her success and social relations, thus she was forced into societal gatherings since her fathers case. One drunken mistake, and everything would go down the drain.

     She shifts her weight, tearing her gaze off Logan when she physically couldn't stare at him for any longer. She looked around the room in search of something, or someone, to distract herself with. As if on cue, Candice approached the blonde. "Are you okay?"

     "Fine." She replied briskly.

     "I saw you talking to Sebastian earlier." She said with interest. "I had no idea you knew him. I completely forgot you go to Yale together."

     Audrey nodded, failing to get rid of the anxious feeling in her stomach. "Yeah, yeah, I know him." She said, brushing off the question when she got the hint the redhead was going to go more in-depth on it.

      "I think you should go for it." Candice said after a moment of silence.

      With a swift movement, Audrey turned her stance to face her, her gaze narrowing skeptically. "What are you talking about?"

      "Oh, come on, it's obvious you like Sebastian." She exclaimed. "And if you ask me, I think he likes you too."

      "I don't like him." She denied. Anymore, she would've added had she been more candid.

      "Just go for it." She persuaded her, clutching her arm. "He's been crushing on you for months!"

      Audrey thrusted her arm off the girl's tight grip. "Seriously, Candice, I'm not interested in Sebastian anymore." She deadpanned, the scotch she chugged earlier making her more impassive than usual.

      Her gaze darkened, rolling her eyes. "Fine, I'm done playing subtle." She said, as if unveiling a mask, her expression shifting from feigned amiable to cold dramatically. "How much do you want for the room?"

       Her eyes widened. "What? You can't buy the room off off me and Logan— we wouldn't have anywhere else to go."

      Candice arched an eyebrow. "Who said anything about Logan leaving?"

      Realisation hit her like a brick, her lips shaping into a small circle at the epiphany. Logan was right. "You can't possibly be serious." She laughed in a brusque manner.

      She heaved a deep breath. "We both know you two aren't really here as a couple, Audrey." She tells her. "Come on, just help me out here. If one of us has a chance, it should be me—"

Her words turned into muffled sounds in Audrey's mind. The way she saw it; she had two options. The first option was to waste her energy trying to reason with this girl, trying to talk her out of making a move on a guy that clearly isn't interested in her. The second option was to save her energy and walk away. If she hadn't two glasses of scotch, maybe she would've tried at the first option. But right now, Audrey wanted no more than to walk away.