29| the great gatsby

"THIS IS REALLY COOL." Dressed in a shimmering gold flapper girl dress with a crystal headpiece with a single white feather on the side, Audrey entered the Great Gatsby themed party.

Usually, she'd refrain from going to a party, of all places, when going out with a guy for the first time. Not only that, but the party was a forty minute drive to Hartford. But as soon as he told her the theme of the party, she couldn't resist. With a little temptation, and the push from Rory, she agreed.

They entered the house, and Audrey looked around, mesmerised by its classic interior. "I feel like I just stepped into the twenties." She looked afar to the other room. "That is the biggest champagne fountain I've ever seen."

"Believe it or not, I've seen bigger."

"Bigger than this?"

Frank nodded with a slight laugh. "Have you ever been to a Vanderbilt party? Come on, you're from Yale, you must've."

"Can't say I've been to their parties, but I did attend one of their weddings." She recalled. "You're right, they do champagne fountains like no one else."

"Well, speaking of champagne, do you want any?"

"Not yet."

They walked into another room, watching everyone dance around to jazz music. "Well, want to dance?"

Audrey hesitated for a moment. Her reflex was to decline the offer, but something in her told her to go for it. She nodded in approval, setting her bag to the side and was pulled onto the dance floor. She danced alongside him, giggling as he pulled a few moves, but ended up talking throughout the whole dance.

After a while, they decided to head off to the bar. "So, tell me about yourself."

She laughed abruptly. "What do you want to know?"

"Anything. Everything."

"Well, as you just witnessed, I'm a great dancer."

"I could definitely vouch for that." He laughed. "What else?"

She hummed in thought. "I'm an only child." She said. "I work at the paper— but, you know that. What else, what else," Her hand shot up, rubbing her temples. "Oh, I hate blueberries."

"What do you have against blueberries?"

"Well, I'm allergic, so..." She laughed lightly. "What about you?"

"Am I allergic to blueberries? No, I'm not—"

"No, tell me something about yourself."

"I..." He looked around at the crowd, which only grew bigger in size now. "I hate parties. I hate to say it, but I do."

She smiled. "You hate parties?"

"I hate being at the centre of it, yes." He said, proceeding to explain himself. "But I like finding quiet places at parties."

"How?"

"Going upstairs, or downstairs— not to snoop, but just not to be at the heart of the crowd."

Audrey sipped her drink, her gaze narrowing at his skeptically, the corner of her mouth curving up. "Show me." She said as she set her drink down.

"Now?"

"Yeah. Show me where the quiet corner you'd go to if you weren't here with me."

His tongue pressed against the inside of his cheek, a smirk forming on his lips. "Alright, let's go."

They got off the bar stools, pushing through the crowd. He slid his hand backwards and reached for hers. She stopped him midway when they passed the bathrooms. "Actually, could you give me a moment?"