1 Final goodbyes

"Okay, okay, I think that was enough!" I groaned and pulled myself away from my parents' suffocating embrace.

Today was the day I left for my sorcerer training. I haven't lived away from my parents and this was the first time I'd be on my own.

I didn't even go to school like normal kids. I was homeschooled my whole life. Because we lived in the countryside, a walk to school was more of a half-day hike through the mountains. So my parents decided it'd be easier to teach me at home. Mom was home anyway, caring for the farm so it seemed like the best option.

And when I developed my unordinary skill to freeze people in place with my touch, it only secured them in their decision. I used it few times on my parents when I broke something and they'd chase after me with a spatula to spank me. Obviously, my short feet couldn't outrun them so freezing my angry mom was a good option. However, it didn't actually help in the end. I could freeze them for only a few minutes and they were even angrier after that.

Seeing spirits was also something out of the ordinary, which I learned later that wasn't normal in people. I remember seeing spirits for all my life and mom and dad saw them too. And because I spent most of my childhood only with them, I thought everyone saw them.

It was when we went on a trip to the neighboring village that me pointing at "nothing" and greeting "nothing" was something not everyone could do.

The spirits that lived around our small farmhouse were good ones. They were mostly harmless with exception of ones that would dirty up our laundry or make a mess in the kitchen. This would annoy me because the spirits would throw all of the pans and pots out of the cupboards and mom would yell at me. I tried my freezing skill of some spirits when they started making a mess and it worked however for less time than on humans, which was interesting.

When I was 15, I met a weird white-haired guy with a blindfold in the nearby village when I was there to buy some things. He apparently saw me freeze some spirit that was bothering me and wasn't taken aback by my skill. He offered to teach me and get me into school in Tokyo where they'd teach me more about my skill. I declined, not only because of his weird antics of giggling and creepily wiggling his fingers but because I knew my parents warned me about Tokyo.

It was 'a big city where nothing good was awaiting me' by their words. After my apologies to that man, I quickly went back home.

I asked my parents about that school. And when I mentioned the name of the school and the guy that wanted to recruit me, they got angry.

I didn't know why at the time because they refused to talk about it for a few weeks but after my constant questions, they gave in and told me. They said that they knew the white-haired guy. It was their friend apparently but they parted ways and by their tone, they didn't like him very much. They told me a bit about the school too. Saying that it was for people like me, called sorcerers, who'd train to help people and eradicate bad spirits. I was excited by the idea of meeting people like me other than my parents and actually using my abilities for good. My parents had a different opinion and they told me that I'd never be attending that school.

Well, and here I was waiting at the village's train station for the train that would get me to Tokyo. The last four years I pestered my parents every day about that school and how much I wanted to go there. That I'd do anything to attend that school.

And on my nineteenth, they surprised me with train tickets to Tokyo.

I would be attending the sorcerer school but I wouldn't be taught by their teachers and instead, they spoke to their old friend who was a good sorcerer who would train me. I was a bit scared but more so excited. I was the good kind of nervous. It was the nervousness from experiencing new things and exploring new places.

"I still can't believe we've let you go there." Mom sighed with tears in her eyes.

"Well, Y/N wouldn't stop annoying us with it, right Y/N?" Dad checked his watch for time and looked at me. I nodded, smiling widely.

"And stop crying, honey. It's not like she's going to be there alone. Nanami will take care of her." Dad assured mom and put his hand on her shoulder. She sniffed and dried her tears with a tissue.

"I hope so, you know how he can get sometimes." Mom smiled. I didn't who this Nanami guy was, I have never seen him before. Apparently, he was really good sorcerer so I was looking forward to meeting him.