10 Weird encounter

Tomorrow morning we took the car to get to the city. Nanami seemed tired even though he tried to hide it. I didn't know what he wanted in the city but I rather didn't ask to not agitate him.

We stopped in front of some corporate building. The sun reflected off the glass exterior, making me squint.

Nanami looked around the building and then said. "Y/N, wait for me here, I just have to get something from there. I'll be right back." He waited for my nod and then disappeared behind the shiny glass door.

I mindlessly watched the door for a few seconds and then looked where I could sit and wait for Nanami.

There was a bench a few meters away so I went quickly to sit on it before someone could take my spot. The weather today was the worst type to be outside. It was scorching hot and not even a hint of wind blew by. People were quickly walking on the sidewalk to get to their destination and spent as little time as possible in the sun.

"Ugh, why is so hot." I closed my eyes and groaned. The sunlight was too sharp and made my eyes hurt. I sat there with my eyes closed, trying to not think about the horrible weather.

Suddenly and a small wind blew by which made me open my eyes to see where it was coming from. I saw a paper fan moving back and forth in front of my face, making me comfortably cool down. I followed the hand that held the fan and saw a man sitting next to me. He had a friendly smile that made him squint his eyes.

He had an interesting look to him. His eyes didn't match- one was grey and one was blue. His icy blue hair ran down his shoulders and ended tied in two low-hanging ponytails. But what stood out most, were his weirdly shaped scars across his face. Where did he get those? Did he get into a fight? We're questions that quickly popped up in my mind but it'd be too rude to ask.

"It's quite hot, isn't it?" He remarked in a friendly tone, widening his big smile.

"Yeah, it is." I smiled. He didn't seem like a threat so I loosened up a bit.

We sat for a bit in silence, the mysterious man contently waving himself with his fan. And I was hot again. I leaned closer to him to get just a hint of the light wind that the fan created.

He looked over at me and then at his fan. "I bought it down the road. Do you want to go with me so I can show you the stand where I bought it?" He proposed.

I felt for my pocket if I still had the money my parents gave me. I contemplated if I should go with that man. He was a stranger but then again he had such a friendly innocent smile he couldn't be a bad person. And plus I'd die here anyway from the heat if I didn't buy that fan.

"Shall we?" He stood up and put out a hand to help me get up. I took it as I felt my skin peel from the wooden bench.

We walked for a bit, side by side. The sidewalk now a bit more vacant.

"Do you ever wonder, how would the world be different if people gave into their anger and did what they secretly wanted to do?" He asked nonchalantly, keeping the same innocent tone. He walked next to me, looking straight ahead.

I looked ahead too, thinking of his question.

What would I do if I gave into my hatred towards the kids that made fun of me all my childhood?

I haven't thought about it before. I still felt like crying when I thought about that time.

"Kids...used to...laugh at me." I said quietly, almost embarrassed. I didn't even know why I shared that but somehow it just came out of me.

"Oh, I know." He said, still not looking at me. I was too into my thoughts that I completely dismissed his weird response.

"I'd want them to experience what they had done to me just once." I kept my faint tone now laced with hint of anger. I had the laughing faces of all those kids dance in my mind. Their unforgiving fingers that pointed at me when they threw insults my way.

The man smirked at my sentence like he was satisfied with my answer.

Before I noticed, we stopped in some dark alley, far from the main street and any people. I think I just kept walking when I thought about my childhood and didn't take in my surroundings.

The man turned to me.

"Here take it." He put the fan in my hand. I mindlessly took it, still confused where did we end up.

"Why are you giving it to me?" I asked.

"Take it as a gift from me. And you don't have to thank me. You'll return the favor when I'll need to, my little cute soul." With that he turned around and started walking away, more into the shadow of the alley. Without any goodbye or explanation.

I watched his figure disappear into the darkness and stayed in place even after it completely left my vision, stunned at this encounter.

"Y/N!" A shout brought me back to my senses. I turned around and saw out-of-breath Nanami at the end of the alley that shined with sunlight where it connected to the main street.

He ran to me and grabbed my shoulders harshly. He moved my body from side to side like I was some kind of kid's toy.

"Thank God, you're alright." He breathed out and let his head hang between his arms that still held onto me. I watched him confused.

"You stood there not moving for a long time. I thought you were brainwashed or something."

"What, why would I be brainwashed." I chuckled at his silly worry.

"Why did you even go here, I told you to wait for me." His tone went from worried back to annoyed.

I looked at the fan in my hand. "I-..." Before I could say anything he sighed and said.

"Just come, we don't have time." He started walking away from me, back into the lit up street.