Can you start tomorrow?

Reilyn stood from the chair, picking up his cloak and wrapping it around his shoulders. He held his hand out for Felix. Felix hopped from the table into Reilyn’s hand and then onto his shoulder. “Thank you for your help, and service. How much do I owe you?”

“Hmm.” Linda pondered, remembering Reilyn’s order. “Two quid, five bob.” Reilyn nodded and reached for his coin. He frowned upon feeling how light the bag was. He removed the allotted fee from his funds. 

“Ah yes,” He handed Linda the coin. “I meant to ask. Where would I go to find work around here?” 

Linda grinned as she took the pay and dropped it into the pocket of her apron. “Well, Burgomaster Tomos is looking for swords. He won’t say why but, coin is coin.” She paused and her eyes lit up. Thinking for a moment. “I’m also looking for help around here. So, if you want to earn your keep doing something other than killing bandits, serving mead is an option.” 

The idea was refreshing. Skilled a fighter Reilyn was but he didn’t enjoy violence. “I’ve never worked as a server before.” He said with a wary voice. 

“I provide room and board. And discounts on food and alcohol.” Linda shrugged. 

“Alright.” Reilyn agreed. Food and a roof was enough of a motivator. “This sounds like a nice change of pace.”

“Can you start tomorrow?” Linda asked enthusiastically. 

“Of course.”

“Perfect!” She smiled. “I’ll show you to your chamber.”

The two made their way up the stairs, Linda was leading. The hallway floor was creaky but sturdy, and the rooms were standard Inn bedchambers. A bed in the corner of the room, a vanity with a water pail beside it and a wash basin not far from the vanity. There were bookshelves near the beds, mostly empty, the odd old forgotten book was left on them. And on the bedside tables sat lanterns. Linda handed Reilyn a fire steel, tinderbox and a couple wooden splints. He gratefully took them and dropped them into his satchel. 

“I don’t use this building as an Inn anymore so, you really have your pick, but this is one of the nicer rooms.” Linda motioned to a room that was slightly bigger than the others and had a few more books on its bookshelf. 

“Thank you.” Reilyn nodded. “I’ll meet you in the morning.”

“Rest up!” Linda gave him a gentle pat on the shoulder. Reilyn, flinched, not fully expecting the touch. “Oh, right. The privy is just out back and the well is in the square.” She informed him, gave him a kind smile and walked off. 

Reilyn sighed, letting out the breath he was holding, and entered the room, his room. He lightly tossed his satchel onto the bed and unclipped his cloak. Looking around briefly, he found a hook and hung it up. Felix hopped off Reilyn’s shoulder, bounced across the floor and onto the bed, finding a spot to curl up. Reilyn walked over to the vanity and picked up the empty bucket beside it. He took a quick look out the window and made his way out, down the stairs, and outside to the well. 

Reaper’s Paradise was close to the town square, so it was a short walk. The cool air of the night was refreshing. After drawing the bucket from the well Reilyn went back to his bedchamber. Kicking his boots off, he set the now full bucket beside the vanity and began to take his arm and shin guards off. He then moved on to removing his tunic. He folded up his tunic neatly and set it on the vanity. He moved his hands around to untie his hair. Letting his hip length hair fall loose he gave his head a shake and ran his fingers through his silver locks to quickly tidy them.