You need me?

The day was clear, blue sky with a spotting of clouds. Reilyn walked behind the group, keeping to himself. Garrin was in front, leading, and Emyr was upfront chatting with him. Reilyn overheard whispers from the four soldiers in the middle. 

“I don’t like having him behind us.” Nia hissed. 

“Agreed.” He heard from Daffyd. 

“A couple of us should go back and watch him.” 

“Not me.” The whispering between Daffyd and Nia stopped. Reilyn looked up and watched as they moved around. Daffyd turned to face Catrin and Jac. “Can you two walk in the back with the Elf?” 

Jac chuckled. “What are you worried about?” 

Catrin put her hands on her hips. “Is this productive to the mission, or are you two just paranoid?” 

“If he stabs us in the back we won’t complete our mission!” Nia spoke with a hushed, angry tone. 

Jac sighed, rubbing the back of his head. “If it keeps the peace then.” Catrin huffed and nodded. The two stepped back, beside Reilyn and kept pace with him. 

“How thoughtful of you two to keep me company.” Reilyn raised an eyebrow, looking between them. 

Jac forced a smile, stretching his arms as he walked. “You looked lonely.” 

“You are aware I heard your entire conversation, yes?” Reilyn groaned. “Including those two whispering.” He pointed to Daffyd and Nia.

Shock spread on Catrin’s face. “You did?” 

“Eyll ears.” Reilyn rolled his eyes. 

“Hey, we were gonna come say hi to you anyway.” Jac shrugged. 

Catrin eyed Jac. “There’s no point in pretending we came here to make small talk.” 

Reilyn laughed dryly. “Yeah, well. At least your weapons are on your backs this time.” The two stared at him, speechless. Reilyn scoffed and walked ahead of them, passing Nia and Daffyd. He ignored their glares and made his way to Emyr and Garrin. 

As the Eyll came towards the two towering men they were having a jovial conversation. 

“So I told this girl ‘I tossed that giant bear off the cliff with my bare hands!’ And she was all-” Emyr went on and on. Garrin rolled his eyes and laughed. Upon seeing Reilyn approach he paused and turned to the smaller man. “-Oh, hey short stack!” 

“...Hey.” Reilyn replied hesitantly. 

“I’m glad you’re on our side now!” Emyr smacked Reilyn on the shoulder. Reilyn yelped and rubbed the area Emyr hit. “You put up one hell of a fight!” 

“Yeah, well…” Reilyn paused. Emyr grinned down at him. It was odd to see the man being so friendly, considering the previous night. “Thanks.” Reilyn cleared his throat. “May I steal our fearless leader’s attention for a bit?” 

Garrin and Emyr both raised an eyebrow, taking a moment to make eye contact, then looked back towards Reilyn. Reilyn was sure he saw Garrin blush a little. “He’s all yours, bud!” Emyr backed off and went to chat with the other soldiers. 

“Lu Telnur.” Garrin looked off to the side and grumbled. 

“Lu Basset.” Reilyn rolled his eyes and mocked Garrin’s deep voice. 

Garrin pouted and sighed. “Did you need something?” 

“I wanted to thank you.” Garrin was lost for a response. He simply blinked and stared at the Elf. “If you hadn’t stepped in, I don’t think they would’ve let me go. Even if I’m stuck with them for this job, at least I have my life. So, thanks.” Reilyn tried to make eye contact with Garrin, but the large man kept averting his gaze. 

“In truth.” Garrin sighed. “I convinced Tomos to assign you because I have a bad feeling about this job. And you’re pretty good with that sword. I need someone like you.” 

“You…” Reilyn smirked. “Need me?” 

Garrin’s face turned as red as his hair. “Professionally.” He pulled a flask from his satchel and took a swig. “Don’t take it the wrong way, Lu Telnur.” 

Reilyn tried to hide his shit eating grin. 

---

In the late night stars decorated the black sky. The group had set up camp alongside the road to Narber. There was a lake nearby, so naturally, they took advantage of that. Reilyn waited until the soldiers had finished bathing and gone off to bed before he snuck out to the lake. 

Reilyn stopped near a tree beside the water's edge. He unclipped his cloak, untied his tunic, pulled off his undershirt and slipped off his boots and leggings, hanging them on the branches. He untied his hair, shaking it loose, the moonlight reflecting off the waves and dancing on his naked form. He walked into the water, wading until it reached his chest and dipped his head under the water to wash his hair. 

There were footsteps just off the shore, Reilyn turned to see Garrin approaching the lake. The giant man was shirtless and looked like he was about to take his trousers off. The two made silent eye contact for minutes. 

Finally Garrin spoke. “Can you...turn around?” 

Reilyn quietly obeyed. “Why are you bathing so late?” He asked while he turned. 

“Could ask you the same thing.” Garrin grunted. Reilyn sighed and didn’t answer. The two bathed wordlessly back to back. “I just like my privacy. That’s all.” Garrin spoke softly. 

“And here I was thinking you were uncomfortable in your skin, like me.” Reilyn shrugged, still working on his hair. 

Reilyn heard Garrin shift around, the splashing of the water echoed in the nighttime. “Pardon me, but I don’t see what you have to be self conscious of.” Garrin gumbled. 

The Eyll turned to face the tall redhead. Garrin looked down at him, puzzled. The water was just under his navel. “These.” Reilyn lifted his arms, motioned to the scars covering them and his chest. “They’re all over my body, but this one is the one I hate the most.” He traced the scar down his left eye. 

“Ah, uh…” Garrin chuckled. “It’s not so bad. Just makes you look rugged.” 

“Rugged, huh?” Reilyn raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms. 

Reilyn looked over Garrin's upper body. Taking in toned arms, abdomen, and somewhat soft looking chest. The man’s biceps were easily the size of Reilyn’s thighs. Freckles trailed down his arms and chest, patches of hair coiled around his pecs and down his tummy. Some tufts of red hair were just visible above the water. “So what are you so worried about?” Reilyn looked up at Garrin’s face. Garrin’s expression twisted and he averted his eyes from Reilyn’s.

“It’s uhh...I was-” He cut himself off and took a deep breath. Fear flashed through his eyes. “I need to wash my hair.” He turned around, dipping under the water and wringing his hair out. The water moved with the motion of his large, muscular figure. 

Reilyn watched quietly. Garrin finished bathing and walked to the shore, keeping his back to Reilyn the entire way. Reilyn’s eyes trailed down Garrin’s backside. He smiled a little. Those freckles really did go all the way down the giant man’s entire body. 

From the shore, as Garrin dressed, he called to Reilyn. “Don’t stay out too late. We leave bright and early.” 

“Aye, aye boss.” Reilyn shouted back, snickering as he watched Garrin walk off. The Eyll dipped playfully back under the water.