And that's...why I like you

The group of seven, bloodied and tired, traveled a little farther up the road and settled for camp. Garrin gathered firewood, Nia shot down a couple birds, a few rabbits, and began preparing them. Daffyd used some salves to treat Catrin and Emyr’s wounds. They were healed for the most part already, thanks to Daffyd’s magic, but the Apothecary was thorough. Reilyn set out their cots, handed some rations around, and helped Garrin start the fire. 

Daffyd finished up with Catrin and Emyr. He picked up a couple of his tools and approached Reilyn. “Hey. I-I want to look at your shoulder.” 

For the first time Reilyn acknowledged his torn tunic, and the small wound the arrow had left. It was a scrape, hardly anything. Reilyn shrugged and untied his tunic. He pulled his undershirt off and let Daffyd inspect the small flesh wound. “It’s nothing, really.” 

“It’s minor.” Daffyd mumbled as he rubbed a salve into it. “B-but you don’t want an infection.” The salve caused a slight burning, yet not enough to make Reilyn even grimace. 

Reilyn dressed himself once Daffyd finished. “You make a good point. Thank you.” Daffyd smiled softly in response and packed his Apothecary tools away. 

---

The fire crackled sharply. Embers flickered against the compline sky as laughter and chatter erupted from the group around the flames. Reilyn kept comfortably quiet, not having much to contribute to the conversation, but he was relieved to see everyone in high spirits. Garrin sat across from him, and to their sides were Nia, Catrin, Jac, Emyr and Daffyd. 

“You’re different from other Dark Elves.” Nia nodded towards Reilyn, clearly tipsy. Daffyd and Emyr murmured in agreement. Reilyn raised an eyebrow. “Didn’t expect you to be so pushy with helping people, and tracking down criminals.” Nia chuckled as Reilyn frowned. Some of the group chimed in enthusiastically, making similar comments or grunting in further agreement. 

“Yeah,” Emyr hiccuped. “You’re a strange one, little man.” 

“N-not like the rest I’ve heard about.” Daffyd fiddled with his food. 

Catrin and Jac gave them looks, raised eyebrows, worried pouts. 

“Till I met you, I was sure they were all a bunch of scoundrels.” Garrin laughed boisterously

Reilyn scoffed and stood up. “Eyll are just people,” He sighed. “Trying to get by. You lot talk as if humans are so damn sanctimonious.” He glared daggers down at the group, all of whom now sat in silence. Reilyn turned his back and walked away. Confused and ignorant remarks followed him as he strode off to be alone. 

Emyr grumbled. “What crawled up his ass?” 

“I don’t see the n-need to be so sensitive.” Daffyd’s voice trailed.

“He’ll cool down eventually.” Jac pitched in.

“Hey um…maybe we-” Reilyn heard Garrin mumble. 

Reilyn kept walking. Their voices faded out, too far away to follow him anymore. He leaned against a tree, clenching his hands into fists, glaring at the ground. He lost track of the minutes until heavy footsteps crunched the ground behind him. 

“Reilyn.” A familiar voice called. “Reilyn, I’m sorry.” 

The Eyll turned to see Garrin standing a few feet away from him. He narrowed his eyes and didn’t respond. 

Garrin gulped. “That was insensitive of us…no.” He swallowed back his words again. “That was insensitive of me.” He raised his gaze from the ground, meeting Reilyn’s crimson eyes.