I won't be owned by anyone

In his left hand the sword formed, firmly keeping its shape. “Migo…mao’beo dreacu?” |I’ve…done it?| He looked up to see the curved, golden blade, and a small grin spread on his weary face. Musing, he looked between the shackles, then back at the sword. His eyes narrowed as a plan came to him. 

Slowly, and hesitantly, he moved the sword in his grasp, adjusting it so the tip was in between his wrist and the shackle, pointed towards the shackle, the blade leaving shallow cuts in his wrist. 

He glanced up at the delicate arrangement, gritting his teeth, he closed his eyes. 

“Taepitu!” 

The explosion shattered the metal cuff, shockwave and iron debris flying back into his wrist and hand, tearing his flesh and snapping his bones. Reilyn’s agonised scream echoed in the room as tears fell from his eyes. The Illusory sword crackled and fizzled away with any ability he had to focus. 

Through gasps and shallow, shaky breaths, Reilyn called once more. “Kyven kyut keu! Kea cadiu!” And once more, the blade formed in his left hand, springing to life. 

With his bloodied, mangled, right hand, he gently took the hilt from his left. Then, using his chin and shoulder to keep the blade stable, he lodged the tip towards the other shackle. Grimacing with every movement, blood beginning to drip from his left wrist, he closed his eyes again. 

“Taepitu!” 

The other shackle exploded just like the first, shattering Reilyn’s left wrist. The sword fizzled. As he cried out, his hand fell to his side, sliced from the debris, covered in blood. Reilyn tried to move his fingers, and for every slight motion, pain tore through him. Whimpering, he stood, with slow, heavy breaths. “Migo dihi botem don…” |I won’t…| He bit his lip to stifle his pained cries. “Migo dihi mwod don quont parietas re kymquis.” |I won’t be owned by anyone.|

As he stood in the dark, quiet room, the sound of blood dripping onto the floor filled the silence. Then, the clack of footsteps approached the door, and Quilla slowly stepped in. Her eyes widened as she saw Reilyn standing, injured and furious. 

Cautiously, she stepped towards him. “Reilyn’da…kyr’wod pebei ku faci?” |Master Reilyn…what are you doing?|

Quilla gripped Reilyn’s shoulders, trying to calm him. With his eyes glaring at the red speckled floor, he asked, “Kyr mwsen’ku caic?” |Why are you here?|

“Migo’beo pwyssae kyr Llyma’da ruia ku raere taud quont caewtorium.” |I was sent by Mistress Llyma to bring you to the entrance hall.| 

Knowingly, a dry chuckle escaped Reilyn’s lips as he raised his mangled hands and rested them on Quilla’s chest. Confused and horrified, Quilla glanced down at Reilyn’s injuries. “Caum botae’ku-” |How did you-|

“Raere keu kur lletta.” |Give me your life.| Reilyn interrupted her. 

Quilla felt her life energy being sucked away as Reilyn’s wrists and hands began to heal. His fingers were movable once more, barely so, but movable. Quilla shoved him away and stepped back, gasping and reaching for her bow, her strength waning. Reilyn raised his casting hand towards her, fire sparking around his outstretched palm. Quilla glared and readied an arrow. “Kyven bretier, yspor migo kygpet.” |Come along nicely, or I’ll shoot.|

“Coit’keu haeitum.” |Let me pass.| Reilyn gritted his teeth as flames began to envelop his right hand. “Yspor migo diusseth kea kygnissis bin ku.” |Or I’ll cast my flames upon you.|

The two Eyll stared each other down, weapons ready, in silence for minutes. Reilyn suddenly ducked down. “Kygniss!” He blasted flames on Quilla’s legs. She cried out and aimed her arrow at him. 

She released.

But the pain from her burns caused her to aim hastily, and Reilyn easily dodged. 

Reilyn leaped at Quilla, knocking the bow from her shaky hands, crying out as the wood hit his still injured wrist. He reached into her quiver and pulled out an arrow, then held it to her throat. 

“Coit keu haeitum.” |Let me pass.|

Quilla stared into Reilyn’s eyes as he spoke, and betraying the tone of his command, they began to fill with tears. 

“Couxilli ti’lle ku-” |Please-| Reilyn pleaded. “Ku clybeo kyut ute caemili dih’mao mwod don?” |You have a family too, right?| Tears rolled down his cheeks. “Byita coit’keu couxilli quont kea!” |So let me save mine!|

Quilla sighed deeply, raising her hands, she cupped one of Reilyn’s mangled wrists. “Mwod yane.” |Be Well.| Her soft voice echoed in the dark room. Light from her touch caressed Reilyn’s injuries, easing the searing pain and allowing his wrist to properly function once more. 

Reilyn stared at Quilla, mouth agape. “Kyr-” |Why-|

“Potta’keu uet raere’keu kur yspor melpi.” |Get off me, and give me your other wrist.| Quilla spoke between coughs. Reilyn nodded, still taken aback, dropped the arrow and released her from his grip. Quilla took his other, still injured wrist, into her hands, her movements slowed. Her energy was failing her. “Mwod yane.” |Be well.| Quilla’s healing light mended Reilyn’s injuries once more.

Reilyn stared at the woman who once opposed him, stunned. “Honita.” |Thank you.| His tears dried and his body able. 

“Ku botae’aci paresse kyut dihi don faci’dal pebo.” |You better not fuck this up.| Quilla gave Reilyn an exhausted smile as she backed away and leaned against the wall behind her. Reilyn nodded. 

“Migo dihi’re clybeo don quo’carpio.” |I don’t plan on it.|

Reilyn tore a strip from his already damaged sleeve. Lifting his hands, he used the fabric to tie his tangled hair into a ponytail. He then rolled both shredded, black sleeves up, just above his elbows. 

“Cailli mwsen taud quont caewtorium?” |They’re in the entrance hall?|

“Kesic.” |Yes.| Quilla gasped, gripping herself with her arms as she forced herself to keep standing. 

“Gecuit.” |Alright.| Reilyn extended both of his arms outward. “Cadis, kyven uet couxilli’keu.” |Blades, appear and aid me.| As he chanted the words, two curved, golden shortswords grew from the air, one in each hand. Reilyn grinned as he looked between them, then back to the door. 

“Mao mayn re mwomi haede’bi.” |It’s crawling with guards out there.| Quilla rasped. Reilyn sighed. 

“Migo dihi’re caectae don ysporum.” |I expected nothing less.| 

“Mwsen’ku gecuit re firmi syneres gwentra re rinhoc dyfostis?” |Are you sure you can survive against twenty enemies?|

Reilyn shook his head. He twirled one of the swords and turned to look at the weary woman. “Kyaut migo dihi llotes don nenrat caic.” |But I can’t just stand here.|

“Migo kymere.” |I see.| The worry spread across Quilla’s features, she knew she was unable to help at the moment. 

Reilyn turned back to the door. “Gobeignus’ku untia re nenrat taud taruse.” |Make sure you stay safe too.| His grip on the hilts tightened as flickers of flame sparked around the golden blades. “Tis’ailli kea’nnten,” |If they're waiting for me,| a coy grin formed on Reilyn’s lips. “Migo botae’aci paresse re caillil raere ute bynnten bodum.” |I’d better give them a proper entrance.| He kicked the partially open door, exposing the hallway to the extravagant stairwell, catching the attention of a few guards.

“Dihi anotar don.” |Don’t die.| Quilla chuckled as Reilyn stepped out of the room. 

The guards readied their weapons and ran towards Reilyn. “Mwsen’ku gecuit pebei mao’od bynnosus?” |Are you sure that’s smart?| Reilyn smirked, raising one of his blades. “Kygniss!” Flames exploded from the sword, towards his attackers.